Radically Improving TR6 Fuel Economy - The Future

nowaday you can't refill anymore outside your country in weekends without holding a local bank card, and high fuel consumption seriously does shorten the range of your car. I just did 2500km in France with daily refueling and once off the motorway and away from cities, fuel pumps are rather scarce. If you rely on your sat-nav POI to find a station you will notice that about 3/4 of the stations displayed have been closed

So you have the same problem with cards being refused outside one's own country, to 'combat fraud'.

I believe that this may happen even if you have notified the card company in advance. :(

Is this a problem with all cards?

Here too many filling stations are closing - even some main dealers - also in the suburbs - it pays better to build apartments on the land, although perhaps not now, at least we may have some benefit from the 'credit crunch'.

Ivor

I don't know if any of the DIY ECU hardware and software can take a switch to change between an economy and sport setting.

Yes, the Megajolt mappable ignition can be programed with two maps, that can be switched during drive.

I do however not know if the Megasquirt mappable EFI has this option with fueling.

Regards, Patrick

For what it's worth - here's my personal take.

In good old Blighty we get about three sunny weekend days so I could take the TR out and drive like my arse is on fire, 15-20 mpg = 4.4 miles per litre = only 27 pence per happy mile - what wonderful value! and a great use of a limited resource (sunshine).

Alternatively, I could drive really carefully, worrying about the contents of my wallet and achieve maybe 35 miles per gallon = 7.7 miles per litre = 15.6 pence per mile - what a terrible waste of money! Might as well have a Nissan Micra.

For what it's worth - here's my personal take.

In good old Blighty we get about three sunny weekend days so I could take the TR out and drive like my arse is on fire, 15-20 mpg = 4.4 miles per litre = only 27 pence per happy mile - what wonderful value! and a great use of a limited resource (sunshine).

Alternatively, I could drive really carefully, worrying about the contents of my wallet and achieve maybe 35 miles per gallon = 7.7 miles per litre = 15.6 pence per mile - what a terrible waste of money! Might as well have a Nissan Micra.

Hi Quark

Star trek man you put it better than i did well done

Regard's

Ntc :lol:

Sure, its useful to have other cars for daily use, what ever they may be, and no doubt this is the case for many of us. And yes, just a few weekends a year TR6 use doesn't really count that much in overall consumption terms. Whilst petrol is becoming expensive is one point, it is partly because it is set to become a scarcer energy resource, which is point two, hence the need to try and conserve it by reasonable measures. I guess that's my point. I'm considering a DIY EFI unit as a result.

• 4 weeks later...
You can tell he is a proper environmentalist by the hummer parked in his garden :lol:

Perhaps he`s electricified that as well! Although theres no sign of the forty foot trailer he would need for the weight of batteries it would take to run it! :o

Stuart.

Hello from the "land of Hummers and Vipers".

Just to counter the earlier comment of how one "makes it in America", I'd like to state that the majority of us just like, I suspect, you guys are average hard working honest people trying to get ahead, support a family, and save a penny or two for that currently unimaginable thing call retirement. As for the Hummers, there are indeed a number of them in my city and a dealer [althought, I don;t think they have sold a new one in a year or so] and maybe a handful of Vipers but you almost never see one on the road. The fuel killers are the inordinate number of f-250 pick-up trucks that every tom, dick, and harry decided they had to have and jumped on the easy credit to finance the things forever when fuel was $1.50/us gallon. Now that their $40,000 truck is worth about $15,000 and their loan balance is still $30,000 or so, they are stuck with them and the 12 mpg or so they return. Remember, these are mostly normal workday stiffs that are now spending $1500 or so a month for a mortgage, $500/month for truck payment, $$ for groceries, utilities etc., and now $100 per week for fuel. Yes, some are concerned with pollution, most with their wallets, but most are really stuck with the situation for now. Why did they feel the need for a massive truck or SUV? Who knows but it will take a few years to work these things off if fuel stays expensive.

As for the "crooks", legal or not, I doubt it is any different here than anywhere else but the gap between the "haves" and the "have-nots" is ever increasing and creating more contempt for the "haves" than ever before.

I once had an xjs 12cyl. Glad I do not own it now (it was primary transport). The tr6 is a toy. who cares if it burns a few dollars on a sunday drive.

Best

Yes, very well said, these days greed is ruling the world. Just recently saw one of the yachts of the vice president of Micros*** :(:( It was in the dock for refurbishment, according to the guide just 30 million dollars, so what who cares about fuel prices. Anyhow these people fill up tax free :) often from floating filling station in international waters.

In twenty years at sea I never saw a "floating filling station in international waters" (except maybe an RFA tanker refuelling the RN at sea). I'm no tax expert but can confidently state that you don't need to head to sea to fill up with reduced-duty red diesel, you buy it at the dockside. Just as the airlines are not required to go through the hazards of inflight refuelling to avoid paying duty, ships are not required to refuel mid-ocean.

If the vessel you're referring to was mv Octopus, an old friend of mine was the first captain. As I remember it she was built not just as a yacht but to pay her way by undertaking commercial survey work as well. Most mega-yachts are at least partly funded by charter-work. So Paul Allen enjoying his yacht is not too dissimilar to you or anyone else enjoying your company car at the weekend. "Greed"? In my view it's just a matter of perspective. I'm sure at least 50% of the world's population would find your possessions and level of consumption obscene. And mine.

I'm sure at least 50% of the world's population would find your possessions and level of consumption obscene. And mine.

Unfortunately I would amend that observation to read: 'I'm sure at least 50% of the world's population would aspire to your possessions and level of consumption. And mine.'

It's very noticable that when people are 'lifted out of poverty' the first thing they do is rush off and buy electrical gizmos, then a motorbike then a car then aircon. Pretty much everyone would like what we have, that's why all around the world they adopt the consumption aspects of 'western culture' and put up energy-hungry western-style buildings, casting aside the ways of life and living that had developed over centuries and were suited to their local environment.

So the big picture is that if we want to save the planet, more poverty, not less, would be an excellent thing.

The small picture is that it mustn't apply to me of course. :P