Which book? There IS supposed to be a gasket!

Malcolm.

Malcolm, According to the BL parts book the only TR7 fitted with a exhaust gasket is the US spec injection model. None of the UK spec cars had one. I may be wrong but if I remember this is also stated in the BL Workshop manual. It maybe the lack of a gasket was to stop the bolts holding the exhaust manifold to the head from rotting in, electrolytic action taking place through the bolts due to the aluminium head and steel manifold, and also help conduct heat away from the head? However unless someone can say it is harmfull to the engine for my part I would fit one as a leaking exhaust joint can only get worse and damage the head.

Just my thoughts :rolleyes:

I am about to fit a new exhaust manifold and new exhaust to my TR7.The book says there is no gasket between the manifold and head.Will the new manifold seal or is there a gasket available from somewhere?

Interesting, I refitted the manifold on mine a couple of years ago, there was no gasket, I fitted a gasket kindly supplied by S & S but wondered at the time whether it would affect heat conductivity away from the head, although it could easily have the reverse effect and conduct more heat to the head from the fiery exhaust gases. Anyhow either way there seems to have been no ill effects.

Ray

Interesting, I refitted the manifold on mine a couple of years ago, there was no gasket, I fitted a gasket kindly supplied by S & S but wondered at the time whether it would affect heat conductivity away from the head, although it could easily have the reverse effect and conduct more heat to the head from the fiery exhaust gases. Anyhow either way there seems to have been no ill effects.

Ray

Ray, like you I fitted a gasket and have had no heat problems. But I am keeping an eye on the fixing bolts just to insure their not rotting in!

I recently had the exhaust on my FHC changed for a stainless system, retaining the original manifold.

Not really having the facilities to do these kind of jobs myself, I use a great local garage. The manifold had to come off to remove a broken exhaust downpipe stud, & there was no gasket fitted against the head. I know for a fact that the manifold has never been off before, so it must have come out of the factory like that.

When it was put back on the garage used a mixture of exhaust paste & copper grease thinly spread on the head mating face. Apparently it ensures a good seal & should come off again if ever required in future!

I don't doubt it Tony (knowing the originality of your FHC) so I'll admit to being wrong! The 2L cars I've had have had manifold gaskets (presumably fitted later in life) and the part is listed. But you learn something new every day. As my old boss used to say 'never assume, it makes an ass out of u&me'!

Cheers

Malcolm.

The UK TR7's didn't have any manifold to hd gaskets fitted from the factory.

IIRC the only cars fitted with gaskets were the EFI cars (that's from the top of my head without checking the parts books) :rolleyes: these where actually tin gaskets.

The gaskets that are available are a composite material and were made to aid the fitting of tubular manifolds becuase it would be inpossible to get a seal between the hd and the manifold flange.