Hi could someone send me any pictures they have of original TR5 seats please, I want to ensure I buy the right ones. Did the seats remain the same during the 15 months of production, my car is an early 5.

Regards

Carl

Hi Carl,

Congrats on joining the '5' community. If you have not already done so go and buy a copy (assuming it is still available) of Bill Piggot's "Original Triumph TR4/4a/5/6". This has lots of detail on the correct bits for your car especially if you are into originality, including pictures of the special TR5 seats fitted only to the TR5 (i think even early 6's had their own design).

If the book is not available then post again or PM me and Ill send you a piccy of mine, (seats that is not the book)!

Cheers

If you really want a set of original seats, I have a pair that you can have.

But, and its a big but, parts of the frames are rusted through where they sit in the floor pan - I think the passenger seat is Ok, its just the driver's seat.

If you are interested - and you can have them for a donation of a good bottle of wine - they are yours, I will dig them out and send pictures if you want.

You will need to collect from Coventry or Sutton Coldfield

regards

mike

If you really want a set of original seats, I have a pair that you can have.

But, and its a big but, parts of the frames are rusted through where they sit in the floor pan - I think the passenger seat is Ok, its just the driver's seat.

If you are interested - and you can have them for a donation of a good bottle of wine - they are yours, I will dig them out and send pictures if you want.

You will need to collect from Coventry or Sutton Coldfield

regards

mike

Ian, thank you for the advice, I will start searching for thr book, hoping to go to the classic car show near Macclesfield on Sunday, weather permitting, their is normally a book stall there.

Mike thanks for the kind offer, if its no trouble to dig out and take photos, it would be appreciated. I only live a few miles away in Derby. Are the original covers still on the seats, as I am not sure that you can buy new ones or squabs for that matter and therefore a trimmer could use as a template.

Cheers Carl

Hi again Carl,

There is no problem in getting all the parts you need for seats or anything else come to that. Several companies including Moss, and John Skinners do full trim sets including seat covers and under foams as well as base rubber springing. You will want for very little but you will need to learn of the various qualities that dont always obey the rule of "you pays your money and takes your choice".

TR5 seats are OK if you want to stick with original designs, however they are non reclining, have no head rest, and generally offer little sideways support, though are of course an improvement on the earler TR's. YOu could go for example, for the Moss modern replacements or indeed many people fit seats from the Mazda MX5 or rally seats from several companies including Revington TR. It really depends on your ideas of what you want from the car. Hope this helps....

Cheers

Ian

your book is on ebay twice, buy it now at 40 quid or 20 quid with a day to go ! if you wouldnt mind sending a picture please.

Cheers Carl

• 2 weeks later...
TR5.bmp

Above the picture from Bill's book. Hope it is:

a) there!

B) good enough for your use!

Cheers Andy, bought some 5 frames that require some TLC, wife had a fit when she saw them, spent a day wire brushing, painting etc and now waiting for foam kit and covers to arrive.

Cheers

Carl

bought some 5 frames that require some TLC, wife had a fit when she saw them, spent a day wire brushing, painting etc and now waiting for foam kit and covers to arrive.

Cheers

Carl

Glad to see you are letting your wife get her hands dirty and get involved with the restoration :lol::P

Hope she does a good job :P

Cheers Andy, bought some 5 frames that require some TLC, wife had a fit when she saw them, spent a day wire brushing, painting etc and now waiting for foam kit and covers to arrive.

Cheers

Carl

Hi Carl

Just as an aside here is a link for a car thats up for sale just now on ebay. It looks like a couple of seats with a TR in attendance---dear me how to get things wrong !!! Tell me ....where do your eyes go first?? Exactly!! :lol::rolleyes:

Kindest

Alan

X755

Hi Carl

Just as an aside here is a link for a car thats up for sale just now on ebay. It looks like a couple of seats with a TR in attendance---dear me how to get things wrong !!! Tell me ....where do your eyes go first?? Exactly!! :lol::rolleyes:

Kindest

Alan

X755

Doh !!! here is the link......

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1974-TRIUMPH-TR6_W0Q...1QQcmdZViewItem