no power to temp & fuel guages

We replaced the voltage stabilizer, but still get no power from the stabilizer to the guages. We tried the light to the I connection on the stabilizer, and it won't light up. Could this be a bad stabilizer, the old one would get hot, make a clicking noise and the amp meter would show a discharge, with the clicking sound. The new stabilizer doesn't heat up nor does it make a noise or discharge, but neither guage works. Any idea's, we would greatly appreciate any help!

Hi Rich,

Bobby may have nailed this one in his message, but there are positive and negative earth voltage stabilisers to consider.

I run a stabilized (neg earth) circuit in my 3A for an electric temp guage and more accurate fuel readout.

If your new stabilizer is gyppo, return it if possible and get one of the new electronic stabilizers for best reliablity.

Auto electricians should have them.

These days the bi-metal strip used in the old type is dinosaur technology.

Regards,

Viv.

I was having prblems with stablizers supplied by Moss which constantly failed or showed a low reading. I then bought a pack of stablizers from RS Components and made my own unit using two soldered together and they work perfectly

Sounds like a good idea, but for the electrically-challenged amongst us, could you elaborate please? (e.g. RS part nos, what connections need soldering, etc.)