KENMAR SHIRLEY TR2 TRIUMPH FORD SPECIAL SWALLOW DORETTI

Hi Brian,

Monkspath Garage was quite a name in the 1950s, and into the 60s, one of the sports car garages.

The 'Shirley' was just one of many special bodies produced in the 1950s, they were created in all sorts of shapes and sizes by a variety of manufacturers. Most were designed for the Ford E93A or Austin 7 chassis and/or running gear, although many special bodies could be (and were) adapted for other applications - including Triumph and Standard.

The 'Shirley' was one of the earliest fibreglass shells, and one of the better made.

There is a particular connection between Monkspath Garage and the Swallow Doretti. After the cessation of production, and closure of the Swallow Doretti factory, most of the remaining stock of components were purchased by Monkspath. A small number of cars were either assembled or sold in ckd form (to a greater or lesser degree) by Monkspath. It's fair to say that if it had not been for the rescue efforts of the owners of Monkspath, then there would be far fewer Dorettis remaining today.

At least a couple of 'Shirley' bodies were fitted to Standard chassis, although I don't know the precise spec, and another to a well-tweaked TR2 rolled (rallying) in the late 1950s. The TR2 Shirley looked a bit of an oddball, but in comparison to the leisurely pace of the average Austin or Ford based special, it went like a V2 . . .

Cheers,

Alec

At least a couple of 'Shirley' bodies were fitted to Standard chassis, although I don't know the precise spec, and another to a well-tweaked TR2 rolled (rallying) in the late 1950s. The TR2 Shirley looked a bit of an oddball, but in comparison to the leisurely pace of the average Austin or Ford based special, it went like a V2 . . .

Could it have been this one Alec?

TAC227

I really don't know, Brian.

I can remember seeing the TR Shirley at a race meeting in the early 60s, and the hoots of derision from my TRing uncle . . . until it left us on the way out of the circuit ! It must have been a good wadge lighter than a TR.

Probably Oulton or Silverstone, '62 or '63, and my recollection is that it had been converted not so many years before. But it's a long time ago, and it wasn't something that made an indelible impression !!

Cheers,

Alec

Sorry to go off at a bit of a tangent, but the attached images are of a similar Special- my Rochdale Olympic,1963. It has no chassis, it is purely a fibreglass monocoque shell with the suspension bits and pieces etc bolted straight to it. This one has a 135bhp Ford crossflow in it.laugh.gif

The Rochdale Olympic for me had the suggestion of an E Type going, TVR coming, and apparently was very well engineered and a success in its heyday compared to other low volume body builders.

Wasn't the Lotus Elite the only other car of the era constructed that way ?.

And I think there's a Triumph connection in that the Olympic 11 upgrade model of 1963 switched to a Herald suspension with coils and double wishbones.

Regards,

Viv

You are right Viv, Lotus apparently bought a Rochdale, possibly a pre-Olympic model, to evaluate it. The front suspension changed from Riley 1.5 to Spitfire, which gave it disc brakes. In theory the car should last for ever, the moulds are still in existence - like the hammer with a new head and a new handle, but still the same hammer! There are only 25 left on the road out of 400 built.

I seem to recall that the motoring journalist Malcolm McKay used to (may be still does) own an Olympic.

I think that he even rallied it :blink:

regards

Peter