Milky OIl and my engine sounds like every bush has been left out

The car is a TR4A IRS and the noise seems well distributed throughout the engine. It sounds like very bush and bearing has been left out !

After replacing the head gasket, oil and screw on filter two weeks ago, I ran the car for an hour - everything was OK - and thought it would be a good idea to flush the engine and put in new oil and a filter for the summer.

All was OK for the first 1/2 hour then I got rattles at the revs when changing gear. The rattles gradually got worse as I was driving home.

I thought I had contaminated the oil by leaving some flushing oil in the system and therefore must have damaged the big ends. I removed the big ends and they looked OK, but still replaced them with the correct size and also replaced the oil and screw on filter.

On start up I had the exact same noise - but left the engine to run for 30 seconds and got good oil pressure - still the noise continued.

Last night I had a visit from Julian, a local member - many thanks again. We were both in agreement that the engine sounded very rough and confused.

We then noticed what sounded like an air hissing noise in the oil filter area, which lasted for about 30 seconds after switching off the engine - exact location was not found. Julian then noticed the oil was milky - full of tiny air bubbles.

THE BIG QUESTIONS

1 Can air be sucked into the oil via the filter or the take off for the oil cooler. If not where is it being introduced ?

2 Is the milky air/oil mixture the cause of my rattling problems - as air can be compressed ?

2 Has anyone else got further suggestions.

Please help.

Thanks Graham

Hate to say this but that could well be the head gasket has gone through to an oilway and the cylinder pressure is forcing its way into the oil galleries, do you have pressure in the rocker box? Try a compression test as first step. Not sure what would be rattling though.

Stuart

Hate to say this but that could well be the head gasket has gone through to an oilway and the cylinder pressure is forcing its way into the oil galleries, do you have pressure in the rocker box? Try a compression test as first step. Not sure what would be rattling though.

Stuart

Hi Stuart

I have just been looking at the car with another member.

The oil is getting through to the rockers OK and is showing pressure.

The milky looking oil is due to very small bubbles, which disperse overnight.

We thought the oil may be nothing to do with the noise - however, the air may be getting into the oil from what you suggest - so will need sorting.

We came to the conclusion the big ends are OK but suspect the cam shaft bushes may have gone as the noise seems to be in the center of the block and travels the full length.

Anyone had this problem - living close to Newbury. FREE TEA AND BUSCUITS FOR ANY VISITORS :)

Regards

Graham

The only thing I could imagine to cause this is that the oil pump has a sealing problem and is sucking in some air and does squirrl it into the oil. The troublesome thing is, that with air poisoned oil you cannot build up oil pressure...it's like swimming on wave foam.....you can't.

So remove the oil pan and have a look there....and have a look at your oil level.....maybe it is too low.

Cheers

Chris

It might not be any use but one of our lads left the small o ring out on the filter body

This was on a 2500 engine but it is simuler set up

This gave about the same symtems as you have

Just a thought

Reg

A big thanks to everyone who have offered advice and visited me to see the car.

After loads of head scratching I have decided to send it to the garage. :o

The AA are on their way with a transporter as I type.

Graham

Graham,

Which garage?

David

David

The car is on it's way to Racetorations.

Apart from all the fantastic help and suggestions from club members, Darryl at Racetorations also tried to help as I know him.

I'm having two of his new seats fitted in the next few weeks, so I thought "I'd kill two birds with one stone".

I also thought he may send it back with at least 230bhp - only kidding!!

Regards

Graham