Newtronics Electronic Ignition

Does anyone have a copy of the fitting instructions for Newtronic's T52A ignition module? I bought one for my 7 back in 2003 and now I come to fit it the instructions aren't there. Also, any tips on removing the distributor bolts which you'll all know are pretty difficult to get at. Thanks. Keith

Not sure if it helped the other guy but I did post this link for someone last year I think. Have a look and see.

Click here

To undo the bolts on the distributor it is best to used a cut-down (shortened) spanner. Not the easiest of things to get to but once you have the electronic ignition fitted you hopefully won't need to touch it again!!

Regards................Gary

I have just fitted Lumenition Optronic Electronic Ignition the other week

I had written about it on another forum I have copied it to let you see

Hope it helps

Now that the car is out of hibernation I have started to do some work

I took the car out of the garage after the winter and to my horror it was running very rough

Back firing so loud that would be excused for wanting to ware ear plugs ( no joke)

Put in new plugs and oil etc

Started to put in new points and condenser ( this is the start of my problems )

This is where the distributer is situated not a lot of space in there

DSC00319.jpg

And to top it the Delco distributer weights are above the points so to set them it is recommended you remove the distributer

Set the points and replace back in ( it is not that easy I tell you)

If you look at the securing bolts at the base it is almost imposable to get in there but I did with a short spanner

DSC00318.jpg

So I did not have to do this job again I decided to install electronic ignition

I fitted Lumenition Optronic Electronic Ignition

I fitted the module at the back of the bulkhead

DSC00342.jpg

Set the timing to TDC

DSC00316.jpg

Then removed the distributer

DSC00344.jpg

Fitted the eye and chopper in to the distributer and started to put the distributer back in

This is where it turned nasty as I could not get the bolts back in

and by now my hand was very sore

DSC00368.jpg

I asked on a forum for an easy way to get the bolts in

and a member came up with this

Tip of the week

a corn flake packet cut a strip off and put a hole in it

put the bolt and washers through the hole and use this to locate the hole

DSC00370.jpg

It is now all fitted and I wish I had did it a long time ago

The car starts quicker it runs smoother it runs faster and when you accelerate it picks up quicker

Now I just have to wash the car give it a polish ready for the first show of the year on Sunday

Edited by stevie-a

Hi Keith,

The easiest way to get at the bolts is with the correct 'special tool' made for the job.

I do have one, and I'm in Wiltshire, you're welcome to utilise it if you wish - but quickly before it goes back to Essex with Tom !

PM or email if you need to.

Cheers,

Alec

Thanks everyone for all those good stuff answers. Especially Alec for offer of purpose made tool for distributor bolts.

Thanks for the offer Alec but I'm not going to get round to it for about two weeks. Is there any chance you could photograph it? Maybe I could make up something similar. Or, is there a part number on it, in case I can track one down?

Thanks

Keith

Hi Keith,

The easiest way to get at the bolts is with the correct 'special tool' made for the job.

I do have one, and I'm in Wiltshire, you're welcome to utilise it if you wish - but quickly before it goes back to Essex with Tom !

PM or email if you need to.

Cheers,

Alec

I is a very fiddly job to be sure. But no more than that. A decent set of sockets and spanners has always been enough for me (plus much swearing and cursing). I'm quite irritated to know Alec has a 'special tool' but have never needed one....

Best of luck, but it IS possible without one!

Malcolm.

Edited by malcolm