Sprints and hillclimbs

I was looking at the event calendar for the TR Register/Revington TR Sprint and Hillclimb Championship and wondering whether to drop in on an event.  I have never been to such an event before and would appreciate it if someone could tell me how they work.

I've been to circuit races to watch (and to assist in the pit lane a few years ago).  How do the Sprint/Hillclimb races compare?

Guest Melco

If spectating you need to check with the organisers if its a "closed" circuit. That means closed to the public. You can only get in if you have pass.

The event organisers are friendly chaps and will usually provide a pass for free if you show an interest. This also means you can introduce your self and have a chat.

Cars are released up the circuit at intervals so as not to be near each other - their racing the clock.

Its not always possible to be near the track since these aren't always on circuits for competition. A single lane road with banks on the side doesn't provide many safe viewing oportunities. You also arn't going to see overtaking or a 'fight from the back'. That said theres usually spinners and a few 'offs'.

You can mingle in the pits and see a wide variety of cars, race and road, old and new, basic and exotic.

Its all low budget - no tannoy - few facilities. But you can get close to the cars and quickly realise you could have a go in your shopping car for the price of a race suit/helmet (£150), licence (40) and the entry fee (£75)