Surrey soft section.

Hi folks,

Has anyone got an original Surrey soft section they would be willing to lend to get a more accurate copy made than the current offerings that are around. I bought a Moss version some time back for an earlier car and it fitted that one only where it touched, (and believe me it does not touch in many places) and is no better on my current 5. Skinners used to make one but no longer do, so I feel a competent maker could copy one or does any one know of a source of good , and I mean accurate, (not a word that goes with repros but still ) repros.

Cheers

Hi folks,

Has anyone got an original Surrey soft section they would be willing to lend to get a more accurate copy made than the current offerings that are around. I bought a Moss version some time back for an earlier car and it fitted that one only where it touched, (and believe me it does not touch in many places) and is no better on my current 5. Skinners used to make one but no longer do, so I feel a competent maker could copy one or does any one know of a source of good , and I mean accurate, (not a word that goes with repros but still ) repros.

Cheers

Hi Ian

The Surrey soft section that I got with the whole lot is possibly original - I am not sure. You are welcome to have a look at that if you wish... I am away for another two weeks (due home on 22nd).

Hope this helps!

All the best

Yeah, but even the original Stanpart ones part company with the header rail at speed.

Consider using a soft top header rail and modifying the Surrey frame, then get one made.

Jerry

I reckon £250 for a brand new Mohair top is a good buy... An 'ordinary' vinyl one is similar from Revington and other suppliers...

Brgds

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

I have just copied this from Revington's website:

806696MHRBLK

MORE SURREY TOP MOHAIR BLK

TR4-5 Surrey top Mohair black. Ex VAT:

Inc VAT: £201.88

£237.21

The Ebay buyer paid over the top(!). Pays to do research when buying and not only on Ebay.

Grahamgl

Yeah, but even the original Stanpart ones part company with the header rail at speed.

Consider using a soft top header rail and modifying the Surrey frame, then get one made.

Jerry

We have never driven Lynda's TR4A with the soft Surrey top fitted, but even getting it to stay in place when stationary did not inspire confidence.

How did these things perform when the cars were new?

Has anyone actually got a Surrey to stay in place without changing the header rail?

How easy is it to do the header rail conversion?

I bought the whole kit from Revingtons including the Mohair soft top.I simply took my TR5 to Hukes Trimmers in Hemel Hempstead and they fitted it for me.Although the kit was expensive I do not ever regret buying it and it is so simple to use.It has survived anything that has been thrown at it including going well into three figures in Europe.Just love it!.

As you are not far from me,Hukes in Queensway,Hemel Hempstead(next door to the Fire station)will sort you out.

Regards Harry TR5 Nutter. ;)

We have never driven Lynda's TR4A with the soft Surrey top fitted, but even getting it to stay in place when stationary did not inspire confidence.

How did these things perform when the cars were new?

Has anyone actually got a Surrey to stay in place without changing the header rail?

How easy is it to do the header rail conversion?

When we restored the TR250 back in 1983, we converted it to a coupe. This was the way Triumph referred to TR models with a "hard top". I was able to find the complete bit of kit at a jumble for $450. This was a princely sum back in those days! It was necessary to remove the original TR250 header rail and replace it with one from a TR4. Admittedly, even with everything in place and all snaps secured, the front of the soft top has a tendency to lift at speed. Fortunately in 25 years the soft top and car have not parted company whilst in motion. We really love the surrey arrangement. But very few TR's crossed the pond in this form. :)

My old TR4A have a surrey top and I have to say I found no trouble with the soft section it was easy to fit and did not come off , I have now fitted a surrey top to my TR250 and have one off the Revington top I find it hard to fit and it keep coming lose. The well know TR garage that fitted it said they found it harder to fit and I have to say that I seen some the do not look that good when fitted, so I would stick with the Triumph type and just change the header rail.

Peter