Injectors - not injecting

Have replaced the MU on the TR5 and 2 of the injectors but it now appears that number 2 and 5 (which are new) dont want to inject. Have had then out with car running and pulled nozzle to let air out but at best a dribble of petrol or nothing at all. Very frustrating as the sun is shining and was hoping for a spin. Thoughts please

Swap the non-working injectors with others that are working properly and see if the problem moves.

If it does, it is the injectors at fault, if not, it is something else most likely to be the metering unit.

Good luck

Regards

David

Thanks will try

Thanks will try

Tried, moved one and now its working moved the other and its still not working. Its new so expect it should be ok from the TR shop, any other tips.

It can take a while to clear the air from the line so persevere a little longer; it could be just a little gunged up! Try moving it again; if it still doesn’t work, could be the blow off pressure is set too high but I would be surprised if a reputable exchange unit. How’s your fuel line pressure?

It can take a while to clear the air from the line so persevere a little longer; it could be just a little gunged up! Try moving it again; if it still doesn’t work, could be the blow off pressure is set too high but I would be surprised if a reputable exchange unit. How’s your fuel line pressure?

Richard

a bit of fiddling, bled the system again and moved the injectors about and pulled the nipple, anyway its all cleared. Just been for a spin and she 'flew' these are great motors on a sunny day and incolving to drive. Had a few Ferraris and the TR5 whilst not as fast nor sure footed easily as involving and just as much fun (actually more) cos the are 'cute'. Anyway thanks for the input ( the forum has saved my bacon numerous times)

• 2 weeks later...

I'm having exactly the same problem on my six, injectors 2 and 5 give very little fuel and the endine misfires, I remove the injectors and manually pull open the valve and give them a bit of a tap and then they start to work, put them back in and all is fine. The after about 4-5 miles she starts to misfire again and I'm back to square 1.

Very frustrating as the MU and all injectors are reconditioned.

I haven't tried swapping the injectors to see if the fault follows them, that's tomorrows job unless someone has another idea?

Cheers

Jon

Edited by DustyM
  • 3 weeks later...
Guest Jonas
I'm having exactly the same problem on my six, injectors 2 and 5 give very little fuel and the endine misfires, I remove the injectors and manually pull open the valve and give them a bit of a tap and then they start to work, put them back in and all is fine. The after about 4-5 miles she starts to misfire again and I'm back to square 1.

Very frustrating as the MU and all injectors are reconditioned.

I haven't tried swapping the injectors to see if the fault follows them, that's tomorrows job unless someone has another idea?

Cheers

Jon

(cut from http://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/rimmer/triumph...-inj#Injectors)

"There are three different types of injectors and one of these is not serviceable (see illustration). If you find yourself in possession of the type that cannot be reconditioned please try to obtain one which can be for exchange purposes. The two serviceable types are identifiable by a wire 'C' clip fitted to the nozzle end of the injector. The non-serviceable type has the nozzle end held into the body by crimping. All injectors, after installation need to be 'bled' to expel any air from them. This will ensure that they work satisfactorily. If any of the fuel lines to the injectors is disconnected, they too will need 'bleeding' to purge them of air.

If your engine starts on less than 6 cylinders, the fault may be traced to either numbers 2 or 5 fuel injector. Often the misfiring of one of these two cylinders is caused by a faulty banjo bolt (part no. 518630), not a failed injector. Substitution of another injector that is know to be working will pin point these banjo bolts that include a non return valve, to be at fault."