Competion engine sought

Guest bkeirle

Guest bkeirle

HI All,

I am new here, but have owned my TR6 for over 7 years, and live 10 minutes from the Nurburgring. I mainly ride the ring on my Ducati but for wet weather fun I want to tune my TR6 to go play in the rain. Having looked into the costs of tuning a US spec motor to produce decent amount of HP it is bordering on the ridiculous (4k mark). There must be out there somewhere second hand race engines for sale?? Anyone?? with all the bits still bolted to them, or even sets of triple weber carbs going for a song??

If anyone can help I would appreciate it. My email is

slidersguesthouse@hotmail.com

Also if any of you plan on visiting the Nurburgring, and want to stay with another Triumph enthusiast, then visit our homepage at www.slidersguesthouse.com

HTH

Bren

Bren, I'm afraid that I must disappoint you in this field as it will be very difficult to find any racing gear for the cash you are willing to invest. The racing TR community is rather restricted and these people hold on on what they buy and have, and for a good reason if you see the prices. Your 4K DM

will not get you further than 1/2 a racing crankshaft for your TR6, so how do you expect someone will sell you a full race engine for less. I think we are here in the field of wishfull thinking. To start first try to properly setup your TR6 ,engine wise and suspension wise, and have a go in it on the Ring in the rain. You don't need more power to go off the track as you will see.

Jean  :(

You might contact the TR Competition in Germany for more information.

Website- http://www.triumph-competition.de

Guest bkeirle

Hi Jean,

THanks for your reply, I had thought as much as i have been looking for ages for an engine..

Just a note to add

I have already done the suspension and brake upgrades...

The engine came about as my GF blew the head gasket on the engine in the car, and seen as though i had the head of it anyway I thought about tuning it ( as it is the slow US Spec model). The 4k figure I quoted was in GBP not DM.. I Wish..lol

But I htought there was no harm in asking...lol

Bren

Guest bkeirle
Bren,

My recollections of the 'Ring 30+ years ago have more to do with torque than top-end power - especially in the rain.

A US-spec carb 6 engine was putting out little more than 100bhp at the flywheel, compared to perhaps a real 135 for the (nominal) '150bhp' pre-1972 UK injection version.

A well-sorted injection unit can put out a genuine 150+bhp without drama, and needn't cost anything remotely like £4K. Injection will give you the requisite  mid-range torque, whereas triple webers are more about top-end power.

A 50% power-increase will transform your 6 - and whilst it won't compare with the outright acceleration or speed of any decent bike, it'll take you more than the odd lap to even half-way master the blighter!

Keep an eye on the small ads in TR Action, and talk to some of the TR Register recommended suppliers . . .

HI Alec..

Yes the ring is still a very daunting place..and very slippery when wet..lol

I know not much will compare to Bike power when 4 wheels are concerned, maybe it is just my car..but it doesn't have hardly any torque..

I have spoken to TR enterprises quite a lot about tuning the engine, and they recommended going with triple 40's with head and cam work to give mid range grunt..but the cost is still astronomical..

I am correct in reading into your post that a injection unit will bolt onto the US motor? What about the difference in compression ratios?

TIA

Bren, if you are interested I have a memo on converting a 1972 U.S.specification TR6 in PI. It's in MS Word some 18 pages long and includes all aspects, parts needed and problems you encounter when undertaking the conversion.

As far as I remember the injection parts were originating from a 2500 Saloon car.

Get me an E-mail address able to receive this file and I try to send it to you   :)

Jean

Guest bkeirle
Bren, if you are interested I have a memo on converting a 1972 U.S.specification TR6 in PI. It's in MS Word some 18 pages long and includes all aspects, parts needed and problems you encounter when undertaking the conversion.

As far as I remember the injection parts were originating from a 2500 Saloon car.

Get me an E-mail address able to receive this file and I try to send it to you   :)

Jean

Hi Jean,

brendan.keirle@ish.com

TIA

Guest andythompson

Bren,

The key to a usable, torquey TR6 engine that doesn't break the bank is as follows

1.A cam similar or slightly wilder than the original TR5 (35/65 overlap 0.255" lift)

2. A late 2500S/TC saloon head stamped 219016 with small exhaust valves and better inlet throat shape. Skim tis by 0.080 to 0.100" to give approx 9.5:1 CR

3. Fit 38mm slimline Inlet valves to above head and carefully blend throats. Standard size exhaust valves + suitable inserts for U/L  (http://www.bartlett-printing.co.uk/chriswitor.html)

4. 6-3-1 Alternate Pulse Extractors.

5. 2 1/4" Single Pipe exhaust and straight through silencer

6. Standard Lucas PI injection from a 1969-1972 saloon

7. Standard Recon TR5 metering unit

8. Bosch Pump conversion

Now this is obviously not a definitive list and they is much detail I have ommitted but the items listed will give you at least 125 to 130 rear wheel bhp for much less than 4000 GBP

Regards