Would you come and watch triumphs race?

Guest Richy_Rich

Guest Richy_Rich

The reason I ask is that support from members for the TRR/TSSC races seems low in comparison to, say, the MG racing series.  I can't comment on attendance for Sprints and Hillclimbs, but judging by the number of posts in this forum I suspect they suffer similarly.

What could be done to improve this? I noticed the MG Car Club had a stand at Rockingham this weekend to sign up any prospective new members floating about and there were hundreds of MG's (new and old) in the spectator car park. Perhaps MG owners are more proud of their marques sporting heritage than Triumph owners, who knows.

I am a beliver that sports cars are designed for us to drive quickly.  To that end I've shown interest in the planned TR "track day" event for beginners like myself to enjoy our cars safely.  I think that this will get more TR owners interested in the whole thing, and hopefully a few more into actually racing.

I've only been a Register member for a few weeks (introduced by the TR Forum) but have always enjoyed a day out at a racing circuit and recommend it to others.  A few years back I followed the Rover 200 coupe racing series.

As a club can we not encourage a bigger attendance by organising trips to race days?

See you at the trackside,

Malcolm.  

:^

Guest Richy_Rich

I agree, I think a trackday would be a good idea.

With regards to the racing, as drivers we tend to get spare tickets with our race entry, quite often mine (and I'm sure others) go unused.  If I knew in advance that club members were planning to attend I'd more than happily donate them to keep costs down if not get everyone in for free.

I want to make a point about the race series. I think it could be much better advertised to encourage ordinary TR folk's support. The recent event at Brands-Hatch (May) was poorly

promoted on the TR Web site and in fact was only a short slot on one day of the week-end.

Perhaps if an email was sent to the local area organiser he could drum up some support.

or even have an email news bulletin lettig us all know whats on and where.

The recent CSMA classic car festival was a great day out, but hardly a Triumph to be seen either on the track or off, but plenty of MGs racing round, could the club not be invited?

Guest Richy_Rich

Trevor,

I tend to agree the Brands meeting was poorly advertised, but also suffered from a low entry (only 10 cars I think, and they mixed in with Lotuses) but this, I hope, was an exception. However, classic motorsport can be great. Infact, almost all grassroots motorsport is excellent to watch (compared to the commercial type, if you know what I mean...)  

Unfortunately, it's all a bit catch-22. With more support, I'm sure there'd me more drivers, races and track time for Triumphs but conversely, without these there's less support and so it goes.  

However, I'm not giving up, the TRR/TSSC championship IS exciting to watch, especially if you follow it over a period of time. There are enough classes to make fine racing even with the really slow cars, of which I freely admit I am one. Perhaps this forum would make an ideal, er, forum for getting more people interested?

Go Richy GO!

Having been to castle coombe twice, once to watch (with Richy) and once to have some fun in my TR2 on a track day... I can say I sure wanna have a go... but like most, I'd guess, am not wanting to race my pride and joy.  A track day would be good... but how about this... the stroke association hold an "All Car Run" at Castle Coombe once a year... around Oct I thank.  

Would anyone be interested in taking part?

its normally a procession for one lap. then you get let loose for 7 laps, and you can pay to be taken around by a profesional driver.

Do you ever get a round at Snetterton Richy?

This lot are on on the weekend of the 29th/30th June and looks interesting...anyone else within a drive of Snetterton?

Pre 83 Group 1 Touring Cars, Classic Thunder, FF 2000, FF 1600, Porsches, Classic Clubmans, Austin Healeys, Porsches, Thoroughbred Sports Cars, Pre '66 Classic and Historic Saloons, Pre 74 Post Historic Touring Cars, MGBC V8s, Pre 90 Touring Cars, Classic Saloons 1hr, 2 driver

Location  Date  

Snetterton  Saturday, June 29, 2002

Snetterton  Sunday, June 30, 2002

Guest Richy_Rich

Jim,

The remaining dates for the TRR/TSSC race championship are:

June 8/9 - Pembery

July 14 - Mallory Park

July 27/28 - Cadwell Park

Aug 3 - Thruxton

Aug 24/25 - Snetterton

Sept 7/8 - Croft

Sept 21/22 - Brands Hatch

Oct 20 - Donnington

These are on neither the TRR (this) site or the TSSC site, which is a pretty poor showing. [EDIT - actually they are on this site under News/Diary - sorry for any confusion.  Still not on TSSC site though].

Also, if anyone is intending to come double check (with me, if you like) as some of the 2 day events only have races on one day and so on.

But, yes, Snetterton is in there.  The races you mention look good, there are a couple of TR's in the Thoroughbred Sportscars championship, but it's a bit pot luck as to whether or not they'll be there on that day.  The MGV8's are worth watching though, the fully modified class cars lap at around the same speeds as modern formula fords!

Mallory Park is a good option for me.  I checked their website http://www.mallorypark.co.uk/ (would you believe) and the tickets are only a tenner for the day.  I'll try and get down there with a few friends to see the action. They are billing it as "Classic race day - Morgans, Aston Martins, Mighty Minis, TR, MG, 750, Classic FF, SoM".

Anyone want to meet us there?

Malcolm.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest dean.s

Richie

I have stumbled on this post as some one who is looking to purchase a TR 6 i noticed this race thread as i already race a sports car and wait for it, its an MG midget. But although there is a championship for midgets only i choose to race it in the 750 motor club roadsports championship which is basically any proper sports cars in mass production. There is 3 different classes governed by engine size and i get a real buzz at finishing above bigger engined cars some times. But anyway my point is why dont some of you guys come and join in with youre TR'S its a very friendly race series and all sorts of different and interesting cars  and also if you can get enough interest after a while you can break away and make youre own series. Another thought why interest is so low is that TR'S are such lovely cars people dont like to butcher there cars were as my MG what the #### i love racing but i think if i bought a nice TR6 i would hate to throw a lot of the parts in the bin.   Cheers Dean,

Guest Richy_Rich

Dean,

Some good points there.  The Spitfires (basically the TSSC championship part of the TR Racing) used to race in the 750MC but moved to join the TR Register a few years ago, I'm not entirely sure why (before my time), but partly I think to create a larger one make series.

There are other championships that the TRs are eligable to enter and a few of the TR4/5's run in the Millers Thoroughbred Challenge and I'm sure there are others.

I can take your point about 'butchering' the cars, although there are incentives not to, such as a prize for the most original sidescreen car racing and so on. There are also a couple of people I've seen who have done nothing beyond the minimum safety regs and run their cars with full trim, radios and god knows what, which is perfectly legal as well.  

I've encountered some people who have been of the opinion that you're ruining perfectly good cars, but I'm sure that the series would be a good way of getting younger people interested in the cars. Let's face it, how may 18-25 year olds would be interested in a concours competition or locating an original dzus fastener or whatever, I reckon many more would be interested in watching/building/driving a race cars.

Besides, all the bits don't get thrown away, they get sold to (unsually) someone who wants them ;)

Guest Melco

If you are going to take part in motor sport then you have to be serious about it. MOTOR SPORT IS DANGEROUS.

You have to be prepared to prepare your vehicle and be competitive. (Needs money and comitment). If you compete in a slow car for the sake of driving round with no speed limit you will become more a hazard than a contributor to the sport. Try a few track days first and a few sprints.

That said:- I still recon the best way to start is with a TR7 fixed head. You will bend any car you race at some point so start cheap and dont risk your pristeen classic. The TR7 is strong, there are parts available to make it faster as evidenced by the big V8s. You can compete in the 2.0L class with limited investment and always update your car to the V8 specs as you progress. (Its cheaper to build a 4 cylinder engine than a 6 or 8 cylinder)

If you could get 20 TR7s you could have your own race.

I also think the MG guys get more support because its their meeting. TRs are their by invitation. A TR register race meeting with the publicity and club awareness that would generate would increase TR owner attendance. (Im not suggesting the club do it just pointing out the difference)

I agree with Melco, TR7 fixed head is the way to go, especially the rare and desirable no sunroof version, stronger and lighter and altogether more appropriate. I think I know someone's who's got a good one for sale, even comes with a tuned 3.9, now there's a good start.

John Elliott

Guest Richy_Rich

Melco,

You're absolutley right, but I wasn't suggesting that the sport is for everyone, I was trying to see why the races are attended by so few club members as spectators.

I am aware that the TRR doesn't actually organise the race days, but this years round at Brands was organised by the Aston Martin OC, yet there was a section set aside for the Sunbeam owners club who were racing that day (by invitation) and it was full of their club members.  On my part I am trying to get the Essex group down to the next meeting at Brands in September, it's not really an expensive day out and I would have thought it something that most TR owners could find interesting - even if the day is organised by the MGCC or the JEC :)