Exhaust pipes

I have discovered track days at Goodwood run by the TR Goodwood Group (hi chaps)The faster I try to go the more faults I find with the car. Can you competition boys help me.

On my TR6 I have a sports exhaust, it travels straight down the car 90 degree bend, silencer, 90 degree bend, then out the back. I have been told I need a single straight through exhaust to maximise the car at high RPM. Fine.

Dose anyone recommend a make or supplier, my only worry is some of the track days have a DB limit of 98 and the only straight pipe I have found is for 105 db.

Guest Melco

Not an expert but:-

I wouldn't bother on a road car. The main restriction is usually the silencer - no silencer is too loud.

There must be better things to spend your money on than this. If it made any big difference then you've got to add on the cost of a rolling road session to optimise the spark and fueling. You'l only affect the WOT performance at high rpm so I should think about compression ratio's, cams and intake systems first.

Have you tried Phoenix exhaust systems? They had a stand at the International with a lot of TR stuff on it, and I understand they will make up special systems if required. I didn't pick up a catalogue when I realised they don't do anything for TR7V8's. Their phone number is 01884 34777

John

• 3 weeks later...

What I mean by saying it stops at 5,500 rpm is just that,

the 6 has 3 Webbers carbs, high lift cams, stage 2 head.

The Webber are correctly jetted (checked at the rolling road)

the plugs a oil free and white after any run.

But I think I have poor gas flow out of the engine. The engine should pull to 6 to 6,500 rpm. It sounds restricted.

Guest thurlands

Don't sound like exhaust to me, possibly in order, points bounce (unlikely), fuel starvation or valve bounce.

How white are the plugs? Find a hill steep enough give it a blast up in 2nd or 3rd so you stay at peak revs for a reasonable time. Cut engine clean at the top without letting it tickover and coast to a halt, remove plugs and you should see light/mid straw colour if it's fuel starvation then they'll be white.

Will it reach higher revs in the intermediate gears?

Jim

---------

I have an electronic ignition. I don't think its valve bounce, I have comp springs, any way to test? Fuel starvation is a possibility, I think I have what they call a silver fuel pump which apparently should be good for the engine. I do have a fuel regulator set at 3, I have put it in second and cut

the engine, the plugs are a light brown not white.

Guest lukewarm

I had a twin exhuast which sounded faintly similar to your old set-up. I changed it (not for performance reasons, but because it was so low slung that I kept bouncing it off speed humps, and eventually it fell apart) for a single straight through affair and the effect on the car was astounding. It revs so much freer - particularly at high rpm.

Sadly I can't tell you the make of exhaust - the nice chaps at Enginuity were responsible for sourcing and fitting...

...I can ask them, if you like?

PS. It is pretty loud. Deafening, actually. :)

• 2 weeks later...

I,ve bin away.

Still don't know what "stops at 5500" means? Hits brick wall? Goes very gutless? Same in all gears?

High lift cam means nothing. Whats the valve timing?

How did the fueling get set if the car wont run above 5500rpm?

What air cleaner/ducting are you using? These can colapse at high speed etc.

What ignition system and timing?