Right chaps

Guest jeram-croft

To go racing you need an MSA licence (not ACU thats for bikes !!).  You have to complete an ARDS course to get a licence - see the MSA website for details.  Cost is about £200 as you have to do a day at a race circuit.  You personally will need an approved helmet and overalls - cost a minimum of £200 ish.  The TR register has a number of classes for racing I strongly suggest you stay in the simplest class to start with.  However some basic mods will be needed, ie roll cage, seat belts etc.  Suggest you give our competition secretary, Mike Hughes a call, he is always ready to advise.  Be aware that we are all warned of the dangers of drugs and alcohol - nobody ever mentions the danger of adrenalin, motor racing is extremely addictive  !

I think the motivation to go racing when you can't get rid of your TR6 is not the right one to start with. I would say it should be the other way around. You like to go classic racing and you buy a TR6.

At the moment I am so depressed to sell my TR's I will go fishing, but I hope that day is far from now.

You racing guys tell me if I' m wrong.

Jean

You also need to join a club.

This is where you want to start as they will be able to lend you a copy of the MSA Blue book, give advice etc before you start.

'A helmet' is not good enough. It needs to be of the correct standard. Motor cycle helmets usually are not.

Go to the MSA web site, look up your nearest club. Ring the contact name. Go to a club event (I don't mean race) and have a chat. They can also help with parts you need (often old belts etc). All helps get you going at low cost.

Guest jeram-croft

You are already in a club or you wouldn't be using this forum !  The Register offer all sorts of competition and the advice to go with them - talk to Mike Hughes or give me a ring 01935 822669 (evenings only please).

I would not like to de-motivate anyone who intends to join the Cassic Racing Guild, but I thing not finding a buyer for your TR is not the right motivation to go racing. I follow for years the Triumph Competition on the continent, I restored my TR3 at the garage where some of the TR's are prepared for the races and in the mean time I have a good insight in the costs and requirements to race     :( . It's not that simple, you can fill a page to list all modifications, from racing tank to full cage etc.. not considering the suspension / drivetrain/engine. And how about the physical condition or is there no medical certificate required for your licence      ???

Jean

Jobby, I do not want to talk you off racing, but I think before converting your car to a racer it's much cheaper to purchase directly a racing TR. If you add a trailer to this, you could eventually use your TR6 as tow car. It would still be less expensive than converting your TR6 into competitive racer.

Jean

Jobby,If you want to go racing go racing, you only live once! However before you pile loads of money into safety equipment etc only to end up in a first corner pile up why don't you try the TR on a track day. I race my TR7 and regularly take it on a trackday, it will give you a flavour of whats involved and give you chance to get the feel of the car on a track. Believe me high speeds on a track are different to bombing around country lanes! As others have said you need to sort the car, if not already done so i.e. service/uprate the brakes fit good tyres and new belts or harnesses. Have a look at my website intended for TR type nuts who wish to go racing on a budget. www.agt-racing.co.uk

The other benefits of track days are that you only need an MOT and a helmet, so if you try and don't like it, it won't cost you anything!

Best of luck Andy Mc.<a href="www.agt-racing.co.uk" target="_blank">AGT Racing</a>

Andrew.  I'd really like to start track daying myself.  I have been to various websites but don't know anyone who has actually done it.  Looked at your website http://www.agt-racing.co.uk (returned plug).

Can you recommend a good Track/Company for a novice to get started and get some confidence?

Are there any special requirements for your car, apart from general roadworthyness, decent tyres & brakes?

Cheers,

Malcolm.

Malcolm, thanks for the return website plug!

Trackdays are a lot of fun, some people take them to seriously and a lot of the modern machine( japs stuff) turns up. Basically most trackdays are spilt into 3 catergories, Novice, Intermediate and experienced. the session are usually 20 mins each , so you will probably get 7 sessions on a day. Tutors are on standby ,usually at no addtitional cost. At Oulton Park this equates to approx 8 laps per session, totaling approx 56 laps, which is about 100 miles track time for about £150.00. If you take race entry fees for a 10 lap race this is fairly cheap. Plus as a novice you can take your time to build up firstly your own confidence and then your confidence in the car.

The car itself needs little preparation apart from a little bit is mild tuning. I've done track days in a few cars and probably the main points to improve especially on a TR7 is the brakes. I have run it Donnington on standard brakes with only fresh fluid, braided hoses and Kevlar pads and still outbraked the Japs!. Granted the pads only lasted 50 miles of track work but £20.00 for pads is cheaper than hitting the Armco! If you haven't fitted new shockers and springs recently then the 200lb would be advantageous but not necessary.  For yourself you will need to bring along a road licence and a helmet.

The best thing to suggest is give it a go! in your car as it is now. If you drive sensibly and within the limits of the car you will have fun.  I do track days with 3 of my friends, one has a BMW the other a modified ford Anglia, the combined value of all our cars is less than most of the single cars on the track, yet we have loads of fun, usually a bit of a chat and picnic in between sessions.

However be warned I started in my road car and before I knew it I'd bought another car (TR7) and started on the serious mods (see inserts on my website ww.agt-racing.co.uk)

As for a good track day organiser, Easytrack or Millenium track days( again see my site) arrange good venues. If we can arrange 5 or more interested persons I can obtain a discount from the above mentioned.

P.S. next time I'm doing a track day I will let you know. But if you fancy doing a trackday wait until I've got the V8 fitted as you'll probably give me a whipping first time out!

Thanks for the reply.  The car has solid disks with 4 pots and braided hoses.  I was considering putting Kevlar pads on it (Greenstuff?), or at least some new ones.

I've got 200lb springs, but I think the shocks are a bit knackered.  Also got a dodgy big bore single pipe exhaust which I'm getting sorted towards the end of Nov.

All of this means the car should be ready to go out in December or early next year.  Let me know when you are going and I'll see if I can join you.

Malcolm.

I would have to agree, track days are fantastic! Going with a few friends is the best but even if you turn up on your own you will soon be swapping tales with anyone and everyone, its a very friendly atmosphere. Also ask the experts for tips as you will learn loads.

Guest jeram-croft

I am going to throw in a spanner !  I like track days I even attend a few myself but they are not competition they can not really be called motorsport either.  This topic started with a request about racing, I would fully support the idea of a track day or two to learn the car and get the feel of what a circuit is all about but the difference between a track day and a race is chalk and cheese.  How about all you track dayers moving on and having a go at the real thing, we could do with more competitors in the race championship.  As to the comments about brakes - anyone attempting 10 real racing laps of Donington in any form of TR7 with standard brakes albeit with uprated pads is going to come off at about lap 4 !!!  My 4 litre V8 uses princess four pots with Ferodo F 3000 pads,Tarox vented racing discs and special air ducting, which are just about good enough.  Out of interest, our last race of the season is at Donington this weekend (20th Oct)  Mine is the red V8 with a yellow stripe (No 43), we are allways delighted to talk to anyone with an interest.

I attended a couple of races this season (see my website!) and will get to some next season.  Hope to see you there.

My real aim is to race but I have to start somewhere.  Lets try a few track days first before the cheque book comes out big-time!

(p.s. nice artice in TRaction.  Pleased that you managed to get the car fixed)

Malcolm.

To those interested in a Trackday, I will post details as and when my car is ready and will probably be early next year. As to trackdays not being motorsport?? I never emplied they where competitive or otherwise! I was merely trying state that it could be a way (introduction) to allow those interested but not sure how to take the plunge to get onto the track!

Personally, I am taking the time to learn the circuits and develop the car, because if I entered a race now you'd be lapping me by lap 2!! Also dont have the wallet for racing as yet!

Finally nice of the offer of the invite, I will try to attend Donnington, but might be doing an Autotest this weekend (not in a TR). If I don't see you on Sunday good luck in car 43!