Curborough sprint course

Whilst at the NEC on Sunday we happened upon a group of people called the Shenstone & District Car Club.  They own a small sprint course in the Midlands.

So what?  You ask.

So they hire the course out for days (or 1/2 days) to car clubs.  The cost?  Around £250 TOTAL for a day!  Maximum 12 cars for non-competitve testing/track days.

To my mind this repesents remarkable value for money.  The down side?  For the money you just get the keys for the day and an observer.  Need your own marshalls & hements and being a "sprint" course only one car is allowed to run at speed at a time.

I'm very tempted to book up for a day.  Would anyone be interested?  Are there any major drawbacks or problems that I didn't think of?

What do you recon?

Malcolm.

Guest jeram-croft

The Register Sprint and Hillclimb Championship ran a test/track day there at the start of last year. If you want to know the details contact Hugh Maund on 01398 323604.  I suspect that if there is enough interest he could be pursuaded to put some of the Championships dosh up to help.  We have our annual drivers meeting in two weeks so if you are quick we can put it on the agenda.

larry J-C

Guest andywduck

Malcolm

A friend of mine belongs to the club, and also commentates there. I visited last autumn (in wind & rain) as i had never been to a sprint, and was blown away by it! Its not silverstone! The cars there were amazing, from  an ex-mot failed Vauxhall nova, to single seat specials, and everything in between.

I would suggest before renting it, that you went and watched a session. It might then seem more beneficial to get a "proper" competiton licence, then enter one day? Saves all the aggro and planning. Then decide if you want to rent it. But, I'd be interested, all the same!

Cheers

Andy

I agree with Andy's last post.  I do go to watch races in the TRR/TSSC championship and definately fancy attending a sprint next year.

What I am suggesting here is an inexpensive way for a few of us to get together for a practice.  I posted this up to see what interest there is and whether there are any major problems I hadn't thought off.

My real aim is to race in the future.  First need some more practice (I also intend to do a few track days next year and will post here if anyone wants to come too).  Then it's just down to the usual problems - time & money  ???

Keep posting in here, especially the "real" racing drivers!

Malcolm.

• 4 weeks later...

All,

At the TRR/TSSC Championship Drivers' meeting earlier this month,it was agreed to organise a track/test day, before the 2003 season starts.   This would be intended for race drivers AND those who would be interested in racing or sprinting, as a recruitment effort.    Look out for details in the New Year, here or in TRAction.

John