TR6 battery size

Hi Clive.

My current battery is a 50ah,,its 18cm deep,21cm high,28cm wide "pic 1" .

You could go to 30cm wide! but no more on the depth or height!!

It looks more authentic than the std black modern type. Especially with a LUCAS sticker!!

I would get the most powerful amphr one you can as they need a lot of juice to start the pi cars. And get one with a lifting handle!!,you will not regret it!

The previous one was a modern type 069,and 60 ah at about the same size."pic 2".

I now use that as a fully charged back up for the TR6 and the Rover P6

IMAG0123.jpg

IMAG0107.jpg

Edited by PILKIE
Could somebody please advise the max. battery dimensions that will fit in a TR6.

I know the old batteries were long, however I wish to use a modern battery, and they seem to be coming up too wide.

Is it possible to squeeze in a 60 AH battery?

Many thanks

Clive

The best I could find is an 072 which is really a commercial application used on light commercial vans (Mercedes Sprinter) it is also used on 89 on Landrover diesel, Toyota Rav 4 Diesel.

It has a 70 ah rating but the more important bit is the cranking amps which is CCA 550A. (diesels need more cranking power to turn them over.

The measurements are as follows

226mm length, 175mm width, 220mm height. it is tight but fits. Also because of its high AH rating it keeps its charge even over winter layup whilst still connected.

They are heavy and have a large carry handle.

You can buy them cheaper than an average car battery because of the LCV applications and you should be able to get one for under £40.

if you pm I will let you where to try for one at the right money.

Geoff

I purchased a Lucas 89/4 from my local Lucas depot. It is rated at 72 amp/hr with a starting rating of 590 amps. It fits perfectly into the standard battery tray. I think it cost about £54 about 3 yrs ago. Works brilliantly (famous last words).

Yours

Paul

Snap

Cheers

Guy

yes the type 072 is the best power rated battery that fits but why do you want such a large battery?

I use a type 072 because i cant be bothered to keep it trickle charged over winter but a triumph herald size battery will work just as well and it is considerablely lighter (and cheaper).

If you find direct components, fiamm, or yakusa batteries they have a ratings and type chart. You will find the dimensions and post positions, or just pop into halfords.