Brake discs

Hi, Having just rebuilt the brakes on my car, the front discs (one especially) appears to have a lot of play when spun as if warped (is this 'run out'). They are new discs from Rimmers but having seen the quality of the pads/shoes they supplied (which do not look top notch to say the least) could I possibly have a set of warped discs? Has anyone else had any bad experiences with 'new' discs?

I am aware that I might have a bit of dirt between disc and hub which may be causing this so I will look at this first. Is there anything else that may be causing this which I can check without the aid of a lathe or special tools etc? The bearings seems OK.

Hi JPA,

assuming you do not have any muck on the contact faces and that the old discs were OK, take the discs off and lay them disc side down on a flat sheet of thick ply (or similar).

Place a straight edge (ruler) across the contact face diameter and measure either end of the ruler to see if the face are parallel (they should be). Do this in apprx 8 places across the face.

Roger

Also examine the face of the hubs & discs for any burrs or nibs on the edges or around the bolt holes, even new discs can have them; use a small file laid flat against the face to remove but don’t file into the surface.

I bought new discs and pads from Rimmers last year and they fitted perfect and run true. Not to say that yours may be a rogue set.

Thanks for the advice gents! It was a small burr on the edge of the hub face! I am surprised this has not been noticed and dealt with in the cars previous life as it must have caused quite a bit of 'wobble' under light braking especially.

Ground it off and he disc runs a lot smoother now.

apologies to Rimmers for any implications made (although the shoes and pads appear to have been 'glued' together by a child).

Cheers

Paul.

(although the shoes and pads appear to have been 'glued' together by a child).

hello, i have just seen wat you hav sed about glueing by children on my dadds puter - i am 5 and a half years old and i can glue very well and its even beter than my spellin