HELP! Rear brakes

I am trying to put the rear brakes back together and am wondering if someone could clarify how the cylinder plate/clips go back together.

Looking at an expoded diagram, the smaller horseshoe with curved ends goes on first against the backplate, then the 'distance washer' plate with the spring plate on the outside. Can someone confirm this is correct?

Is there a 'knack' to putting them all back on in a certain order to put them on in the order above with the handbrake lever on seems almost impossible (am probably missing something really obvious).

Any help greatfully received!

Cheers

Paul

Paul

I followed the exploded diagram with no problem - there is a couple of small holes in the (smaller?) 'horseshoe' that engage with a couple of 'pimples' (for want of a better term!) on the 'larger' horseshoe clip. If I recall correctly, they are inserted one from either direction - you may need to 'persuade' the second clip in with a small hammer or similar...

Hope this helps...

Brgds

there is a couple of small holes in the (smaller?) 'horseshoe' that engage with a couple of 'pimples' (for want of a better term!) on the 'larger' horseshoe clip. If I recall correctly, they are inserted one from either direction - you may need to 'persuade' the second clip in with a small hammer or similar...

Hmmm, it sounds like you have only 2 clips, as per a spitfire set up. I have 2 sets of these clips also so dont know whether to use these instead.

The TR6 clips (as per the Moss / Rimmers catalogues) show 3 clips in total - a small horseshoe with bent ends and then a large, flat clip (which does not have the pimples you describe) and then a curved 'spring' clip. Have I got the wrong ones or could I use the 'easier' to fit spitfire ones safely instead?

The 3 clips/plates are described as follows in parts list :-

37. Spring Plate (cylinder retaining)

38. Distance Washer (boot retaining)

39. Plate (locking wheel cylinder)

I think it is the distance washer that is causing me the problem, where does this go?

Cheers

Paul.

Edited by jpa

After you've placed the rubber boot :

First fit the spring plate - from the forward direction. The angled ends must face away from the brake back plate.

Then slide in the locking plate - from the opposite direction, ie from rear to front, ensuring that the spring plate clips locate in the locking plate slots. Then the smaller locking plate.

You may find it easier if the handbrake lever is disengaged from the wheel cylinder. When you have the 1st and 2nd clips in place the handbrake lever can then be gently levered into the cylinder housing.

Either way this quite a tricky job, the 2nd and 3rd plates may need some persuasion ! Keeping the rubber boot in position can be a pig as well.

Good luck !

Regards

AndyP

Also make sure you use the grease that is supplied - the whole assembly is supposed to slide freely on the backplate after you have assembled it...this may not be obvious if the one you removed was stuck. Consider cleaning up the both sides of the aperture on the backplate with a bit of sanding paper. If it is any consolation it is a far worse job to get these things off, so you've done the difficult part.

andy

I found the job a lot easier if you ignore the sequence used in the manual. Insert the inner and outer plates first, which should present no difficulty, then gently tap the middle plate into place. Much easier to get the middle one in with the other two in place than doing the outer plate last since it has a smaller tab.

Hope that makes sense, and maybe even helps someone!

Cheers

Alistair