POLISHES AND WAXES

Hi all.

Having now got my TR6's bonnet back after having it re-redone,1st due to some fisheyes! and again due to a mis-match in the colour,its now come back the proper colour and with a really excellent finish!!

IMAG0008.jpg

The next stage is to give the whole car a really good coat of wax!

BUT ? The rest of the cars paint has now had 2-3 months to go off/cure,whatever it does! The bonnet is fresh!

How long does it take 2 pack to cure these days??

I know cellulose never really goes off totally,as behind the side indicator lights,I found it was still tacky from 1985, when I stripped it down!

What is the best wax? to use on fresh paintwork?

Should I wait for a little longer for it to 'go off/cure before I give it a thorough waxing?

Do I really need to wait?

There are so many makes of wax on the market to choose from,its mind boggling :blink:

What do YOU! swear by?? and how many times a year do you wax it?

Of course as its new paint,I dont want,need to use anything that will take a micro layer of paint off!!

Any and all advice appreciated!!

I want to get it looking the best I can before Malvern :P

Still got a couple of little jobs to do! Those niggly things that I feel could/should be a little bit better!!

Cheers all

Dave

Dave

I had mine resprayed last year by a guy who works from a small workshop with his son - 'old school sprayer'. I asked him what I should do and he recommended Mer. I found it at our local spares shop and used it once I had rebuilt the car and got everything back in place. That was about 6 weeks after I got it back from him finished.

I'm sure that others will have different recommendations, but I was happy with Mer.

Roger (Pogo)

Hi Dave,

I used to use AutoGlym, great polish easy on easy of looks great. :rolleyes: Mer is good on glass and chrome.

However since i went to Malvern 2007, :blink::blink: , i had a good chat with the Meguiars chappy , there bought a load of there products, the Nxt Tech Wax and Speed detailer are excellent would also recommend you get yourself some proper polishing cloths and not rags etc. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Note . am not a polisher, the car is used in all weathers, but i like it too be clean. ;)

Cheers

Guy

Edited by Jersey Royal

I think a lot depends on the quality and age of the paintwork. I know Mer is great but has a very very tiny abrasive effect that is great on slytly dis coloured paint. I use Maguires because it can be used in full sun (ha,ha,ha). On ocasions I get distracted after waxing on and its a job to get it to buff (wax on . wax off ) I think of this everytime I polish and start doing the actions and speaking in a slightly orintal voice.

Geoff

I've used Mer and Autoglym and can't see much difference between them, also used old fashioned pink wax - the stuff that looks and smells like Windolene and is sold by the trade suppliers in gallon tins.

But have also used the coloured wax that is sold in Halfords and that is my favourite, other than being very messy to apply. It also has the benefit of hiding the little scratches. Don't know about other colours, but the dark blue is perfect for Sapphire Blue.

Regards

Kevin

I have used all types of polishes and cutting compounds to prepare cars, this is what I've found works best:

A good T Cut (bloody hard work) then red label Autoglym followed by Autoglym extra gloss protection (or liquid hardwax, this is the "trade" version of extra gloss protection)

This gives the paintwork a glass like finish and makes washing much easier as the water rolls off in globules (check spelling of globules!)

I've also used Mer - this is very good......

I have'n't tried Zymol but that is supposed to be the best of the best but very expensive (high carnuba wax content)

Regards

Mark

Hi

I use the Autoglm range of products. Its 40 deg in summer here and the polish looks great. I remember when I was in the UK and had a powder blue Dolly sprint the Which report recommended Autoglm as the best polish for Triumphs of that colour. Have used it ever since. Not easy to get here as Meguirs is the predominant polish sold.

Mark

I’ve used Mer, Autoglm & a few others but my favourite is a little know product called Dyna Glaze manufactured by 3M. Costs around a tenner ½ litre (I think) & it’s really good stuff but not generally available through Halfords etc.; paint factors usually stock it. It’s easy to apply & polish off, gives a deep gloss & also does a great job of hiding small scratches or swirl marks so would be ideal for a car with a less than perfect finish.

I was introduced to it about 8 years ago by a member of the Jaguar owners club who uses it on his Mk2 & an S Type, which was a show car up until recently.

Have used Autoglym and Meguiars in the past but my current favourite is Meguiars Techwax. Its meant for more modern paint finshes but I've used it on the TR and its dead easy to apply and comes up brilliantly. Dark blue bottle, bright green top,,,,,,,,,you can't miss it.

I’ve used Mer, Autoglm & a few others but my favourite is a little know product called Dyna Glaze manufactured by 3M. Costs around a tenner ½ litre (I think) & it’s really good stuff but not generally available through Halfords etc.; paint factors usually stock it. It’s easy to apply & polish off, gives a deep gloss & also does a great job of hiding small scratches or swirl marks so would be ideal for a car with a less than perfect finish.

I was introduced to it about 8 years ago by a member of the Jaguar owners club who uses it on his Mk2 & an S Type, which was a show car up until recently.

There is only one problem with Dynaglaze and thats trying to remove it to do a blow in repair. It seems to sink into the top coat and bond itself in. Agreed it does give a good long lasting shine though! I tend to stick with the Autoglym as its nice and easy to work with and relatively economic as well. I always recommend not to wax paintwork for at least six months to allow for the majority of the solvents to evaporate. If any areas need a buffing before then I use 3M Final Glaze which will give a terrific shine without removing the surface and it gets rid of small scratches or swirl marks.

Stuart.

There is only one problem with Dynaglaze and thats trying to remove it to do a blow in repair. It seems to sink into the top coat and bond itself in. Agreed it does give a good long lasting shine though! I tend to stick with the Autoglym as its nice and easy to work with and relatively economic as well. I always recommend not to wax paintwork for at least six months to allow for the majority of the solvents to evaporate. If any areas need a buffing before then I use 3M Final Glaze which will give a terrific shine without removing the surface and it gets rid of small scratches or swirl marks.

Stuart.

Thanks Stuart!!

I was told the same about Dynaglaze! and they also said,its best not to be used on new paintwork!

I have an Autoglym van trader I deliver to occasionaly on my route,so I will try to get a cheap box of goodies cleaning kit deal from him :P

I was thinking it was best to leave new paint to evaporate for a while,I will give it till 2 wks before Malvern,then give it a good going over!

Dave

Hi All,

I've just got my car back from the paint shop and I must say it looks fantastic They have done a stunning job superb

anyway I asked what polish to use and they recommended Auto glym or a polish I've never heard called Race Glaze.

As to the time after paint before waxing I can wax it as soon as I need to which will be ina week or so when its all back together.

Oh happy days bring on global warming and a scorching summer

For what it's worth....

As a finishing wax I've tried Jofs carnauba wax, sold by a trader on Ebay. Its a white milky liquid so easy to apply, and as long as it's not left on too long, easy to remove (half the battle with some waxes I've found). Gives a nice hard gloss finish. Quite cheap as well - yes a consideration for some TR6 owners :rolleyes:

A good prep compound is the Meguiars 83, used with a rotary polishing machine. Not particularly cheap but does the job nicely.

Regards

AndyP

Hi all, I tried a friends Meguiars detailer last year and was so impressed that I went out and bought some along with polish and wax.

It is certainly the best finish I have achieved on my car and although the total cost was about £25 the polish and wax will probably last me at least 5 years.

The detailer is great for doing smaller areas, under bonnet, sills and lower boot which get dirty on a long run, it cleans and shines without removing the wax.

Chris

Barly%20013.jpg

Hi All

one of the guys is into Lexus cars and uses Meguiars, i did my car using his system 1,2 and 3 etc with his polishing mop

my paints **** but the results looked good see Northumbria group website picture

the lads also told me about Zymol and the threads form the Astra owners club etc were amazin, the work that went into polishing a NEW car. i also heard that zymol do a polish for the Bugatti at £6500 a tin

i have to buy new tyres and i am moaning at a couple of hundred

regards

david