Hi

New to TR4a, really enjoyed an 8 week programme to recommision the car after a layup for 3 years, got it from an old friend.

All seems well, except on start up the engine rattles for a few seconds until the oil pressure comes up. Can this be improved by fitting a spin on filter adapter? Or any other means?

Ta

Nic

Hi Nic

The best way is to run the starter for a few seconds before turning the ignition on to circulate the oil before it fires. The spin on filters don't help much and in my experience tend to leak unless you are lucky.

Hi

New to TR4a, really enjoyed an 8 week programme to recommision the car after a layup for 3 years, got it from an old friend.

All seems well, except on start up the engine rattles for a few seconds until the oil pressure comes up. Can this be improved by fitting a spin on filter adapter? Or any other means?

Ta

Nic

Hi Nic,

I don't have a 'rattle' problem - and use my car very regularly. However, in cold weather and in particular if the car hasn't been used for a few days, I do as Robin suggests and turn the engine on the starter for 10-15 seconds with no choke (it takes longer than you would think to get oil to the top of the engine) - the engine of course won't fire at this point - then start in the usual way with the choke in use.

As a general point, I also find it pays to push the choke part way in just as soon as the engine fires - in this way you are not revving too high immediately on start up.

Can also only reinforce what Robin says about the spin on filters - it seems the 4A owners in our local Group who have tried them have all had leakage problems and reverted to the original fittings. Whereas, in my case (with a '4') there is no such problem - presumably because of the slight differences in the filter unit head.

Notice you are new to TR4A - are you also 'new' to all TRs? If so, welcome to the world of TR and the Forum which is a great place to find help and information.

Would strongly suggest you join the TR Register and then visit your local Groups (if you have a choice of more than one) and decide which suits you best. Am sure you will find a group of like minded and very friendly individuals who will be most helpful on all matters icw your TR.

All the best

Geoff

Hi Nic,

I rebuilt my 4 engine a couple of years ago and noticed the metallic rattle on cold start-up until the oil pressure got around the engine.

Last year at a classic car show I bought a bottle of Activ8 oil additive from a stand after watching a very impressive demonstration of it's protection under all sorts of challanging conditions.

I put the additive into the engine prior to a 3,000 mile round trip to southern Spain. The first thing I noticed was no metallic chatter on start-up and have never heard it since. The stuff really does coat the engine parts and has remained effective even after a recent oil change.

Cheers

Phil