Headlamps

The lights on my TR7V8 are very poor. Can anyone suggest a good headlamp to replace the lucas sealed units fitted at the moment. I have found some for a Mazda MX5, does anyone know if these will fit the TR7.

Hi Anthony

Have you thought about the Halogen conversion kit that Robsport sell? It's about £30 plus the vat and postage but has made a huge difference to my night time illumination. Robsport

Gary

Edited by ngtf

All you need to do is source a pair of H4 halogen headlamps (as used on the Mini). Then you can buy some extra-bright bulbs for them (got my bulbs at Halfords). What a difference! Have a look on ebay....

Malcolm.

Thanks for the advice, I have just purchased a pair of Cibie lamp units. Now I need bulbs. I was offered PIAA bulbs for £40 each, almost twice as much as the headlamps themselves. I declined these, but want something with a good light, any suggestions?

Guest Wayne S

Hi Ant,

Hope you are both well!

Ive had a similar problem myself. I bought a Rimmers Halogen conversion for the car a while back BUT have now fitted Halfords "Rally" Xenon bulbs bought for £6.99 each. They are the ones in the red box on the shelves at Halfrauds and are great although "officially" they arent road legal due to having a 100W rating. Any that fit the H4 socket are fine.

Dont buy those blue light ones of eBay they arent as effective.

Wayne

If poor lighting is really an issue to you. Take a look at HID conversions on Ebay. The cibie lamps you have will be ideal to install a gas discharge conversion (HID). Having had these lights on my everyday car, anything else seems poor.

Once you have experienced them all others seem like candles. However if you go this route ensure you buy them with a colour temperature of about 4700k. These will give true white light.

The H4 conversion you will need will be single filament with a solenoid operated shutter for the dip/main operation.

I bought a pair recently for my Fireblade via ebay for about £45 plus postage.

Wouldn't consider anything else now. Plus they consume far less current than large wattage conventional bulbs.

(a pair of 100W bulbs consume over 16amps at 12 volt - almost twice the original spec).

Hope my ramblings are of some interest.

Regards,

Fin.

I agree, go for the Halogen conversion. Using the standard Halogen 55/60 Watt bulbs works very well. Its the most common mod on the later TRs, GT6s, Spits and Heralds.

Quick word of warning, if you are going to use 100W bulbs make sure your wiring and switches up to it or fit a relay. Did have 100w bulbs in an MG Maestro I used to have and they melted the light switch :blink:

Trev