just wondered if it is commom practice to use the original tr5 filter unit when the bosch pump is used this is what i have found to be done on my tr5 this was already on the car when i bought it three years ago. should this filter unit be changed or is this ok

just wondered if it is commom practice to use the original tr5 filter unit when the bosch pump is used this is what i have found to be done on my tr5 this was already on the car when i bought it three years ago. should this filter unit be changed or is this ok

Gaz

Just a couple of points regarding Bosch pumps.

They are designed to push, not suck. So really need to have the fuel fed either by using a primer pump, or by mounting the pump as low as possible and direct feeding by a bigger O/L from the tank via an inline filter. Hi pressure filter on the O/L side.

Also needs to have max voltage at the pump i.e use a relay and heavier wire from the battery.

Pumping at 110 psi means that the Bosch pump will be operating near it's max cpacity and needs all the help you can provide.

I have seen many setups where the pump is mounted in the original Lucas position and dragging fuel thru the old cartridge filter.

Still seems to work reasonably, but obviously not as efficiently as possible and must surely reduce the pump life.

I think the ideal system is to use a primer pump via a swirl pot feeding the Bosch pump.

Also have a look at Malcolm at Prestige's setup.

Regards

John