Year Of Manufacture from Chassis Number

Trying to find the year of manufacture for my imported ,poorly documented TR6. Can I find this out from the chassis or engine number. Thanks

Hi,

Welcome to the Forum. Yes you can from a number of sources. I know that the data is in the Rimmer Brothers catalogue so it is probably on their website also. If you can't find it, quote the chassis number on here and I will look it up.

Are there chassis numbers stamped anywhere on the TR6 chassis? My license papers don't list a chassis number, but it does show an engine number (which matches to the car).

Regards

Craig

Chassis numbers were only stamped on CKD Belgian built cars as it was a legal requirement there, they were stamped on the right front rear lower suspension mounting on the top plate and also on the front right hand upper bulkhead. License papers usually list a chassis number as stamped on the pop rivetted chassis plate either on the top of the front inner arch inside the bonnet or on the left hand "B" post.

You will probably find on your front cross member a single letter and single number on a spot welded plate but that is only a Rubery Owen type identifier.

Stuart.

Sorry to disagree with Stuart, but my late series CR model, has a Chassis No , D 03815, stamped on a plate on the front left main chassis leg, below distributor position. All my other ident nos match the Heritage Certificate data and initial registration data given to DVLA.

Yours

Paul

Well you live and learn as I have never seen a number like that on a chassis. Is it stamped direct on the leg or on an attached plate?

Stuart.

In that case its probably a chassis builders plate (Ruber Owen I think ) although they never bothered with it on earlier versions. Or a fleet plate maybe.

Stuart.

Paul,

The "D" series of body numbers were sometimes recorded by Triumph on the build records and we have quite a number of Heritage certificates on file with these recorded, mostly in a similar range to yours. These are mainly late 72 early 73 from the later CP and CC series and the early CR and CF. Interesting about the body number plate on the chassis as like Stuart I wasn't aware that this was done. With regard to the stamping of the numbers onto the chassis, as well as the ckd cars noted by Stuart all LHD European spec TR6 from Canley had the commission number stamped onto the chassis. This is also recorded on the build records.

Derek

• 8 years later...

Gary,

Email me the commission number and I will confirm what model it is and a build date to within a couple of days. The commission number is recorded as VIN/Chassis/Frame No on the V5C, it is also stamped on an aluminium plate which can be found on either the top of the front nearside wheel arch or on the nearside B Post. My email address is saffrontr6@btinternet.com.

cheers

Derek