1957 TR3 HGS 578

Way back in 1964, as an impecunious Agri student in Aberdeen I traded in my 1947 Austin 8 for HGS 578, a 1957 TR3. It was just another car at the time, fellow students were running a Jag XK 120, a TVR, an HRG something-or-other and a few MGA's and Mk 1 Sprites. There was even a Jaguar SS around. I really fancied a Riley Kestrel, but couldn't find a good one at the right money, so a TR it was. I ran it for about six months, used it for a summer of tattie inspections but eventually one wet night on a long right-hander on the A96 the Michelin X's did their usual unannounced breakaway, I fell behind with the steering and after demolishing a row of fenceposts she gently rolled over into a grass field. The works hardtop didn't do much as a rollcage, but luckily I was on my own and managed to get down across the seats, so was able to crawl out without a scratch and thumb a lift to Aberdeen.

The car was recovered next day and it and the farmer's fence were eventually repaired, but I'd lost confidence, so sold it and bought a 997 Cooper.

I've just discovered via the DVLA website that the old girl still exists, now apparently red. (She was British Racing Green when I owned her). I'd be very interested to renew aquaintance, I have a few photos of her time in my ownership.

• 2 years later...

Way back in 1964, as an impecunious Agri student in Aberdeen I traded in my 1947 Austin 8 for HGS 578, a 1957 TR3. It was just another car at the time, fellow students were running a Jag XK 120, a TVR, an HRG something-or-other and a few MGA's and Mk 1 Sprites. There was even a Jaguar SS around. I really fancied a Riley Kestrel, but couldn't find a good one at the right money, so a TR it was. I ran it for about six months, used it for a summer of tattie inspections but eventually one wet night on a long right-hander on the A96 the Michelin X's did their usual unannounced breakaway, I fell behind with the steering and after demolishing a row of fenceposts she gently rolled over into a grass field. The works hardtop didn't do much as a rollcage, but luckily I was on my own and managed to get down across the seats, so was able to crawl out without a scratch and thumb a lift to Aberdeen.

The car was recovered next day and it and the farmer's fence were eventually repaired, but I'd lost confidence, so sold it and bought a 997 Cooper.

I've just discovered via the DVLA website that the old girl still exists, now apparently red. (She was British Racing Green when I owned her). I'd be very interested to renew aquaintance, I have a few photos of her time in my ownership.

Hi

My name is Ron Jolly and I have owned HGS 578 since 1976. Please e-mail me on ronjolly100@yahoo.co.uk and I can give you a lot more info.

Best regards

Ron