Respray and underseal advice??

Hi guys,

Any chance of some advice for a new TR6 owner. Two questions:

I am thinking of getting the car undersealed and was considering rustmaster.co.uk. Anyone got any experience of these guys or any other outfits who will do the job? they have quoted me £390 +vat for prep, cavities, underseal etc???

secondly, I am thinking of getting the car resprayed, anyone recommend a good outfit in the herfordshire area? Any guidance on the kind of cost i should expect??

Any help appreciated,

Chris

Chris,

I will be very interested to see how you get on with them.

I was thinking of using Chris Parkinson at Before 'n' After Rustproofing as I have read some good reports on the Forum. However, he is some distance from me (Stotfold, Hitchin) - can't remember where he is based and his his website seems to be down at the moment.

My main concern is whether whoever I choose has experience with TRs and knows all the moisture traps inside the chassis, sills, plenum, bulkhead, etc.

Hatfield would be much more convenient for me, so keep us updated.

Hi Brian,

Tried to reply earlier but it doesn't seem to have posted, apologies if you get thsi twice!

I think i will go and check them out and let you know my thoughts. I did ask him if he had done TRs and he said he had done loads, can't say his response filled me with confidence though.

Will let you know what I discover.

Cheers

Chris

Before'n'After are in Greenham Common, near Newbury; actually in one of the old store buildings that was part of the USAF base in the 80's and you drive in on the junction to the base where the peace camp used to be.

Chris did my Triumph 2000 for me last year and I'm pleased with the results. The big saloons are as bad as 6's for rust traps (probably worse as they don't have a seperate chassis and a lot of double and triple box sections to strengthen the shell).

The only downside of giving a vehicle a good dose of Waxoyl is that the stuff gets everywhere (athough being pedantic, of course you actually want it to get everywhere) and does take a while to harden. I stood my car on a large plastic sheet in the garage for a few days and then went over it with a rag soaked in white spirit to get the excess off. While the smell of fresh Waxoyl is quite pleasant to begin with, it does get a bit over-powering after a few days, but the result is worth it.

Usual disclaimers apply - no connection with the business, just a happy customer.

Can't offer any help on respraying, other than a suggestion that if you're changing the colour as well, Sapphire Blue looks great on a 6.

Kevin