7/8 Rear brake cylinders

Hi

I am in the process of re-building a TVR Vixen (sorry for the intrusion!) which uses brakes from a TR6.

On stripping the car, I have found that I have one .7 rear cylinder (as standard) but the other side has a 7/8ths rear cyclinder. I have managed to obtain a second 7/8ths cylinder to match. I believe these may be standard fitment on Morgans and some Sunbeam Alpines.

I have read on the web site for a turbo charged TR6 (sorry, not my cup of tea either!) that adding these cyclinders to a TR6 would be a worthwhile upgrade with possibly 50% better rear brakes. See www.turbo-tr6.info/tr6_brake_install.htm

Has anyone else ever used these cylinders on their car? If so, did you get positive results? My worry with putting them on my Vixen is that with it being fairly light I might get rear lock up too easily. Then again, having not yet driven my car (it was in a barn for 7 years!) I might find that they improve the brakes no end!

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Paul.

I think both sizes are still available from Moss etc for £15 each, so it would be worth trying it to see how it goes with what you've got. Sold mine to get the TR.

Paul

Tried the larger cylinders on TR6 last year. Longer pedal travel was the first noticable difference. Obvious really, larger diameter needs more fluid to move the piston the same distance. I have to say that I did not feel alot of benefit and have gone back to .7" over the winter.

Looking at another, American, forum. They recommend a change in Master Cylinder size if you start increasing slave cylinder sizes. But I have yet to discover what the part number might be for a larger bore master cylinder that would suit the TR.

Regards

Tim

I could well have written TIMS post - the same goes for me only that the castings I received were **** - made in Asia (sourced from a big USA TR mob).

The result was to bin a new set of Greenstuff shoes with 100 miles on them when fluid leaked past the seal via a casting flaw - not happy.

An increased bias towards the rear brakes is good but the increased pedal travel was unsettling - I'm happier with the originals (when the shoes are properly adjusted!!)

Thanks for the advice chaps.

The ones I have are genuine Girling. I may give them a try at some point, after trying the originals first. Having not driven the car yet (it has been in a barn for 7 years, and then some!), I will see how good the brakes are as standard before I put on the big guns!

Cheers

Paul.