Looks like a bargain on the'bay - any knolwedge

Does anyone know this car, is it me or does it look like a good buy

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...sid=p2759.l1259

It doesnt look 100% like one of the many scams we have seen since this seller at least has some history. A good first check would be to send email and say that you live a short distance from the sellers location and ask if you can see the car. If you get back the usual I'm travelling overseas and the dog ate my passport but just wire me the money anyway answer you will know if it is an obvious scammer.

If it had the PI intact it would be worth what, 10-12K GBP ?. What would the SU's do to its potential value, enough to drop it to just over 5K GBP ? That seems low for a car with OD and a rebuild engine, new frame etc

Stan

It doesnt look 100% like one of the many scams we have seen since this seller at least has some history. A good first check would be to send email and say that you live a short distance from the sellers location and ask if you can see the car. If you get back the usual I'm travelling overseas and the dog ate my passport but just wire me the money anyway answer you will know if it is an obvious scammer.

If it had the PI intact it would be worth what, 10-12K GBP ?. What would the SU's do to its potential value, enough to drop it to just over 5K GBP ? That seems low for a car with OD and a rebuild engine, new frame etc

Stan

Its probably just a bargain, one of those that were it up at £9995 everyone would be rushing at it! Its about 300 miles from me though otherwise I would be on the road up there tomorrow!

May be a good buy, maybe not. I use the rule that says if something looks too good to be true, it probably is! This may be genuine but for me, the description is too brief (not an enthusiast), it isn't a 150 with carbs, most of the feedback is as a buyer not a seller and there is no V5.

"Caveat emptor"

Chris

P.S. I bought my 6 on ebay 9 months ago and I am pretty certain I remember this car being advertised then.

I have come to the conclusion that the price specified in "Classified Ad" is not a buy it now price but merely a price set to encourage enquiries. I have seen many apparently genuine ads with even sillier prices. the scams are usually easy to spot.

Rodders.

Looks like a genuine classified Ad to me, If you check the trials motorcycle he sold a couple of weeks ago, there is a telephone number....give him a call if you want it

john

Its a scam as its the same car as Ben has pointed out at twice the price. :(

Stuart.

that one is marked as sold! perhaps crawfyca@hotmail.com (from his previous trials bike ad) bought it and didn't like it? :(

I thought that I could spot a scam....this is a new one to me, It's just a classified ad, not an auction so I assume you would not buy without viewing?....mind you it's a long way to Dunbar :blink:

I see that his feedback is 13 but only three listed when viewed?

john

Ive spoken to Nigel at Bourne & Thomas who had the car up at 12k. He says his car is sold but not to the buyer who has listed this one. He has reported it to ebay who are obviously as prompt as ever......NOT.

He thinks the guy has just used his photos..........very naughty.

Ive emailed the seller and surprise.......no reply.

Ive reported it to ebay too.

Tony

I will re-emphasise the fact that "it is only cheap for a reason"

As an example - If you check the very nice Mallard Green TR6 on Ebay @ £8995 buy it now (item 250208001921) - it looks a "stonker" of a car on the surface but.....and there is a big BUT......

This is not what it seems.....

It is registered and detailed as a 150BHP CP Series Car - unfortunately the Body, Instruments, vent flap etc etc point to it being a later CR Series car :blink: Oh dear!

So how did that happen, well draw your own conclusions.........but 150 BHP tax exempt cars are worth more money (generally) and the chassis plate / body number is the only real identifying factors......

Shame as it is a lovely car but somebody somewhere is going to get caught out.....so the moral of the story is that if it looks to good to be true - it probably is......

Get someone who knows what they are doing to inspect any car first......

p.s. I still have several decent TR's in stock..... :P

Marko (AKA Classic Marques Norfolk)

Edited by marko

Tony

This is not what it seems.....

It is registered and detailed as a 150BHP CP Series Car - unfortunately the Body, Instruments, vent flap etc etc point to it being a later CR Series car :blink: Oh dear!

Hello Marko,

For the benefit of us "newbies" now dashing out to check our own 150BHP CP cars, can you expand a bit more on the obvious differences as, apart from the dashboard guages and seats, I wouldn't know how to tell!

Thanks

Chris

The dash gauges in a 150 BHP car are completely different to a 125 BHP car.

The standard 150 BHP cars had seats without headrests.

The vent below the windscreen had a flap on the 150 bhp cars, the later cars had a black plastic grille.

The engine block should be stamped with CPxxx (not blank or something else) - not just CP on the V5C

The gearbox should be an A type unit with overdrive (if fitted) on 2nd, 3rd & 4th (it has a big brass nut on the bottom of the box)

Hi Check the other listing on Ebay item 370010864022 for this exact car ( GVO 258J) by a different seller for £12000.00.This looks like a 100% scam and I wouldn`t bother wasting the price of a phone call !

Just a bit of advice from a 3 time TR owner.It may be tempting to try and grab a bargain on Ebay but who in their right mind is going to give away a genuinely nice TR ?

I would always advise buying through a credible TR dealer who will have inspected and given you an honest description, good and bad, about the car.I used TRGB who were honest about all aspects of my car , good and bad, which sold them to me straight away.

Don`t pay a premium for a described "genuine 150 bhp UK car" privately sold as it may have a USA donor body anyway (this does not necessarily de-value the car at all but why pay more ? ).

Unless your an expert ( and I am not ) its so easy to be fooled into paying over the top !

Anyway good luck in your search !

Just a bit of advice from a 3 time TR owner.It may be tempting to try and grab a bargain on Ebay but who in their right mind is going to give away a genuinely nice TR ?

I would always advise buying through a credible TR dealer who will have inspected and given you an honest description, good and bad, about the car.I used TRGB who were honest about all aspects of my car , good and bad, which sold them to me straight away.

Don`t pay a premium for a described "genuine 150 bhp UK car" privately sold as it may have a USA donor body anyway (this does not necessarily de-value the car at all but why pay more ? ).

Unless your an expert ( and I am not ) its so easy to be fooled into paying over the top !

Anyway good luck in your search !

Is it me or what, a body from the USA especially from California should INCREASE the value of the car not decrease it, I have a TR3A with a Triumph body that was used in

California and am fitting a Triumph TR6 body also used in california to my damaged TR6. These are far and away the best you can get, rust free, a pleasure to work on,

changing over to RH drive is relatively simple as is sorting out the lamps with help from the forum. so lets remember there arent any "American cars" they are all british, they have just been used

elsewhere for a while.

regards

Peter

Is it me or what, a body from the USA especially from California should INCREASE the value of the car not decrease it, I have a TR3A with a Triumph body that was used in

California and am fitting a Triumph TR6 body also used in california to my damaged TR6. These are far and away the best you can get, rust free, a pleasure to work on,

changing over to RH drive is relatively simple as is sorting out the lamps with help from the forum. so lets remember there arent any "American cars" they are all british, they have just been used

elsewhere for a while.

regards

Peter

Couldn`t agree more !!

Edited by simonr
The dash gauges in a 150 BHP car are completely different to a 125 BHP car.

The standard 150 BHP cars had seats without headrests.

The vent below the windscreen had a flap on the 150 bhp cars, the later cars had a black plastic grille.

The engine block should be stamped with CPxxx (not blank or something else) - not just CP on the V5C

The gearbox should be an A type unit with overdrive (if fitted) on 2nd, 3rd & 4th (it has a big brass nut on the bottom of the box)

Phew...... mine checks out! I didn't know about the plastic grill thing although I did check the engine number and O/D on second when I bought it.

Thinking about it further though and withought wanting to upset any purists, if I could get hold of some decent leather seats with headrests, I would probably fit them because I like them. It seems unlikely that there are many completely original '72 cars around these days. Mine has clearly had several replacement panels but that doesn't make it less original in my mind.

Taking this a stage further, if you have a "dry state" late body and you put this on a genuine '72 UK chassis and running gear, I think that the resulting car can quite legally be considered to be the '72 car even though it would not be "accurate".

changing over to RH drive is relatively simple as is sorting out the lamps with help from the forum. so lets remember there arent any "American cars" they are all british, they have just been used elsewhere for a while.

Couldn`t agree more !!

Yes I agree too.... ;) although some have been used more than others.......

john

Mine has clearly had several replacement panels but that doesn't make it less original in my mind.

Reminds me of the classic 'Trigger' line from 'Only Fools and Horses';

"I've had this broom for 20 years... Its had 8 new handles and 14 new heads"... :lol:

Regards

Reminds me of the classic 'Trigger' line from 'Only Fools and Horses';

"I've had this broom for 20 years... Its had 8 new handles and 14 new heads"... :lol:

Regards

Spooky.....I had the same thought when I wrote the post!