Where do all the unloved cams go?

With everyone seemingly wanting to change their camshafts for shiny new Fast Road cams, I was wondering where all the old ones go. Do they go to a secret camshaft graveyard? You very rarely see them on e-bay, and most new ones appear not to be sold on an exchange basis. So do the old ones just go out and die alone under a bush?

The reason why I pose this soul searching question is because I am after a 125bhp 311399 camshaft. I promise I would give it a good home, keep it fed with clean oil, give it company with 12 new cam followers, and drape a sparkly new chain around its neck.

If anyone has one moping around unloved in the corner of their garage, please let me know.

Thanks,

Chris

1974 TR6

1979 Dolomite Sprint

With everyone seemingly wanting to change their camshafts for shiny new Fast Road cams, I was wondering where all the old ones go. Do they go to a secret camshaft graveyard? You very rarely see them on e-bay, and most new ones appear not to be sold on an exchange basis. So do the old ones just go out and die alone under a bush?

The reason why I pose this soul searching question is because I am after a 125bhp 311399 camshaft. I promise I would give it a good home, keep it fed with clean oil, give it company with 12 new cam followers, and drape a sparkly new chain around its neck.

If anyone has one moping around unloved in the corner of their garage, please let me know.

Thanks,

Chris

1974 TR6

1979 Dolomite Sprint

Chris, I think some of them if they are not too worn out get reground and re-sold but the cost of a brand new cam is so low that I wonder if there is a market for the reground ones and so they just get scrapped.

Stan

...... 12 new cam followers......

I think one reason they don't appear is that old cams with new followers wear very quickly, and as Stan says new ones are so cheap....

So are 125hp cams really so unloved that one can't get new ones?

Ivor

Chris

I think the late TR6 shares its camshaft with one of the 2.5 PI models and some of the GT6 range. You need to be careful because the cam lift is different in some models but I'm sure some of the cams are identical.

The Mintylamb website gives a good comparison chart. You could start from there and then checkout the Triumph part nos.

http://www.mintylamb.co.uk/?page=auto.htm

Hope this helps

Tony

The reason why I pose this soul searching question is because I am after a 125bhp 311399 camshaft.

Hi Chris,

Let me add to the foregoing that the 125 bhp cam is believed to be the same as the later carb TR6 cam ( 18/58/58/18 ) and is likely to be available off-the-shelf from any number of suppliers, new. My experience with a new 150 cam leads me to believe the quality is, if anything, superior to the original, having slighty wider lobes.

I must say I'm puzzled at the choice of a 125 cam vs. a 150. In any case, care in choosing the followers and ensuring the correct springs and installed height is very important, as is the run-in period of ~ 20 minutes @ 2500 rpm upon 1st start-up.

Hi Chris, I've got a 125 cam out of a US import CF engine that you are welcomed to for the cost of the postage. Where are the numbers on the cam? I hav'nt had time to look it over but the block that it came out of was very good with little bore wear so the cam could be good. E Mail me on rvwp@yahoo.co.uk Rich

Thanks for all your useful comments.

I'm looking for a cam for a 1974 CF engine breathing through SU carbs, hence the 125bhp spec.

I realise they are not too expensive but when you add the cost to a new diff, wiring loom, tyres, battery, exhaust, clutch, respray, brake pipes, chromework, softop, bushes, parts to convert from LHD to RHD, lights, exasperated wife "you're playing with that bloody car again", mortgage and two small children..... you get the picture.

Rich, your offer is really kind, I'll e-mail you.

Thanks again,

Chris

Brush. Roller. :lol:

That reminds me of my first TR3A. When purchased from the previous owner in a long line, it had been resprayed in Ford Aubergine (which looked much better than you might imagine).

Unfortunately, the front end was fibreglass and the paint chipped very easily from these panels. I decided I wanted it back to its original Powder Blue but cash was in extremely short supply, so I bought a large tin of pale blue Hammerite and we painted it with rollers and brushes. It certainly turned a few heads (and stomachs :o) when I took it to the next TR Register AGM at Tetsworth :lol: . Well, it had seemed like a good idea at the time and I was (relatively) young then. I still have the panels from this car stored in my garage and the Hammerite is still fairly intact all things considered.

Edited by BrianC