Trunnion Play

To take a break from trying to get the 6 to run properly (which is frustrating the hell out of me!) I decided to strip the front suspension to fit new bushes, disks etc.

Having removed the upper wishbones and trackrod ends I noticed that the verticle link and hub have quite a lot of freeplay in the trunnion, one will move in and out (towards and away from inner wing) about 1/2 inch the other about 1/4 inch (at the top). There is no vertical movement. The trunnion stays still.

What should they be like should they feel completely solid.

Cheers

Jon

To take a break from trying to get the 6 to run properly (which is frustrating the hell out of me!) I decided to strip the front suspension to fit new bushes, disks etc.

Having removed the upper wishbones and trackrod ends I noticed that the verticle link and hub have quite a lot of freeplay in the trunnion, one will move in and out (towards and away from inner wing) about 1/2 inch the other about 1/4 inch (at the top). There is no vertical movement. The trunnion stays still.

What should they be like should they feel completely solid.

Cheers

Jon

Jon, you seem to be saying that by disconnecting the top of the suspension you have found that it waggles around. Well, I think that is to be expected. You need to test for movement when it's all bolted up using a lever under the wheel to check for vertical movement (assuming that all the bushes are sound).

Jerry

Blimey John what gave way there?

Stuart.

Hi Stuart

Keep in mind this was 36 years ago.

At the time I used to make the return trip between Melbourne & Adelaide (7 hrs each way) nearly every week,. so the poor old TR4a copped a fair hammering trying to break the land speed record.

I didn't even know what a trunnion was let alone that they needed lubrication !

The only lubrication I knew about was how many cans of Fosters I needed for the return trip.

Anyway the LHS vertical link pulled itself out of the trunnion and off we went .

Would have needed all your skills to repair.

John

Ok new trunnions ordered to be on the safe side.

Now how do i remove the trunnion bolts both are seized solid.

Blow torch on the trunnion or hacksaw through the bolt down each side of the trunnion?

A bit of heat works wonders but dont forget your trunnion will be full of oil/grease (or not as it now has a lot of play) so take precautions.

Stuart.

Just finished, One side I hacksawed through the bolt down the side of the Trunnion but this took forever. The other side I drilled through the trunnion and through the bolt to weaken the bolt then tightened it until it snapped and pulled the two halves out, much quicker :rolleyes:

Just finished, One side I hacksawed through the bolt down the side of the Trunnion but this took forever. The other side I drilled through the trunnion and through the bolt to weaken the bolt then tightened it until it snapped and pulled the two halves out, much quicker :rolleyes:

Dusty,did you know that you can now buy the trunion inserts in pollybush and stainless.maybe better than the plastic type.

I had seized trunnions on a spitfire and managed to carefully put a hacksaw down one side, once the head or nut is removed I was able to knock the rest through. Nice job!

I agree had the same on a Vitesse and a Herald. As you say Nice Job! I always use copperslip on the bolt shaft, as a result no seized bolts.