Gearbox woes

Oh Dear

I took my six out for a spin this wonderful sunny Sunday to clear out some of the cobwebs after the Christmas and New Year lay-up. It was great fun, but then, after about 15 miles I went to change up from second gear to third only to find the gear stick would only engage neutral or second gear. I was not far from home, so, managed to limp back in second gear.

Thing is, there was no advanced warning of anything wrong with the gearbox, no strange noises or clunking gears at any time. The gear stick only moves back and forth between second and neutral, it does not even have any of the play you normally get in neutral.

Can any of you (more knowledgeable types) give some kind of prognoses of the likely problem, as I am not to mechanically minded.

Many Thanks

Bill Milton

Bill

That's a strange set of symptoms, I'm surprised you can't get 1st, I think the minimum you're going to have to do is remove the gearbox cover and synchro forks, it sounds as if something has come adrift in there. That isn't much fun, but it's better than taking the whole box out!

Ron

Perhaps the bush of the second gear on the mainshaft has gone : on early TR6's this is a bronze bush with a rim and often the rim is broken off the 'tube' part of the rim.

On later TR6's, the bronze bush of the 3rd gear is replaced by a steel item and also for the 2nd gear an u/r steel bush is available. I believe the vertical rim of this 2nd gear bush can be an integral part of it, or it is a separate big washer that is fitted between the bushes of the 2nd and 3rd gear. These steel bushes can be a little too tight and a light reaming may be necessary to avoid overheating and getting stuck on the main shaft.

Bill

That's a strange set of symptoms, I'm surprised you can't get 1st, I think the minimum you're going to have to do is remove the gearbox cover and synchro forks, it sounds as if something has come adrift in there. That isn't much fun, but it's better than taking the whole box out!

Ron

Ron, that is very well possible : if the fork for 1st and 2nd gear has moved on its shaft and the gear lever is put in neutral, the mechanism in the cover (little rods and balls) will prevent selecting any other gear because the shaft for 1st/2nd gear is not in 'neutral' and will not allow that the other rods are moved.