Bolt on 'Amco' Luggage Rack

Hi All,

Some help would be appreciated. I have acquired a second hand chrome amco / bolt on luggage rack which I have been told came off of an USA TR6. My concern is that when placed on the boot it looks too long as their is minimal distance between the centers of the fixing holes and the edge of the boot panel. Have I been sold a duff ?

Is anyone able to provide me with the length of a fitted luggage rack from fixing centre to fixing center and any other useful dimms.

Many Thanks

Jeremy

Hi All,

Some help would be appreciated. I have acquired a second hand chrome amco / bolt on luggage rack which I have been told came off of an USA TR6. My concern is that when placed on the boot it looks too long as their is minimal distance between the centers of the fixing holes and the edge of the boot panel. Have I been sold a duff ?

Is anyone able to provide me with the length of a fitted luggage rack from fixing centre to fixing center and any other useful dimms.

Many Thanks

Jeremy

This is an original US TR6 luggage rack

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e119/fos...hdimensions.jpg

This is an original US TR6 luggage rack

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e119/fos...hdimensions.jpg

And yes, the feet come right to the edge of the boot lid. I much prefer the TR4 arranegment that uses the hinge and number plate bracket to mount the boot rack. I dislike the TR6 installation so much that I removed it and never put it back on. I'm still pondering alternatives because it is a challenge going to shows and trying to pack luggage for two, camera, cooler, folding chairs and a beach umbrella plus tools and spare parts.

Stan

I'm still pondering alternatives because it is a challenge going to shows and trying to pack luggage for two, camera, cooler, folding chairs and a beach umbrella plus tools and spare parts.

Stan

Hi Stan.

Why not use the usual type of wood and polished ally or chrome with suckers on the feet and 2 clamps?

You can easily protect the paint from damage from the clamps with some bodycoloured vynil strips!

Ive seen various sizes!!

Edited by PILKIE

Hi Jeremy,

The AMCO products were of the highest quality and are becoming sought after by purists. If you got a real AMCO rack there is little risk of devaluing your car by using it. In any case, it's worth having if even to sell later for a nice profit.

Stan's right about AMCO's Michelotti version which uses existing holes for mounting, so its removal has no price in superfluous holes ;) ; a factor which made it easy to put one ( another ebay NOS find :rolleyes: ) on my show car.

Note that repros have been done on the AMCO design, and the most cursory inspection of these makes the originals look fabulous - better welds, chroming, and flat tubing instead of round. The mounting hardware is also superior.

Hi Stan.

Why not use the usual type of wood and polished ally or chrome with suckers on the feet and 2 clamps?

You can easily protect the paint from damage from the clamps with some bodycoloured vynil strips!

Ive seen various sizes!!

I'm a bit wary of clamp on solutions, my past experience has been that no matter how careful I thought I was being I managed to chip the paint and/or leave permanent water marks under the sucker feet if it got wet or that clamp things are made of cheap plated metal and rusted the first time out. Has your experience been different ?. It would be good if this was a viable solution as I only need it a couple of times a year and it could even be removed and stored in the hotel room for those multi-day events.

Stan

I'm a bit wary of clamp on solutions, my past experience has been that no matter how careful I thought I was being I managed to chip the paint and/or leave permanent water marks under the sucker feet if it got wet

Stan

I had exactly the same experience - I used mine once only a couple of years back at Malvern. One thunderstorm later and I've now got 4 ring shaped water marks! :(

I wouldn't use a clamp on luggage rack again, ever.

I'm a bit wary of clamp on solutions, my past experience has been that no matter how careful I thought I was being I managed to chip the paint and/or leave permanent water marks under the sucker feet if it got wet or that clamp things are made of cheap plated metal and rusted the first time out. Has your experience been different ?. It would be good if this was a viable solution as I only need it a couple of times a year and it could even be removed and stored in the hotel room for those multi-day events.

Stan

As an alternative to a conventional fitted boot rack I can recommend the Bootbag for occasional use.

See Bootbag thread

Hi

I have one of the Repro Amco type racks.

I need to replace the lower fixing bolts that go into the enclosed section of the boot.

I cant find a supplier locally ,does anyone know of a supplier or indeed the type of bolt reqiured ?

Regards

Guy

DSC04127.jpg

Edited by Jersey Royal
Hi

I need to replace the lower fixing bolts that go into the enclosed section of the boot.

I cant find a supplier locally ,does anyone know of a supplier or indeed the type of bolt reqiured ?

Regards

Guy

I'm pretty sure that my lower feet were secured with screws. One time when I considered refitting it I bought some rubber inserts with a brass threaded core that I planned to use to secure the lower feet assuming there was enough depth to insert them. These are the same style of fixture that my washer bottle bracket uses. It would take drilling a bigger hole of course and finding some that would fit into that section of the trunk lid.

Stan

Hi All,

Thanks for the info to date. I have checked the dimensions and it is the right size. However, the fixing holes are only just on the boot very close to the edges and the fixing kit I bought from Moss is just four hex heg bolts, washers and nuts. It looks like if I drilled through the front edge of the boot panel it would be seen in the rear deck/ boot panel gap and may clash with the boot compartment edge and the rear looks worse where I fear because of the boot lip falling back to the front of the car it would be impossible to get a nut in and secure the back ?

Any Thoughts or suggestions ?!

Many Thanks

Jeremy

Hi

Regards

Guy

DSC04127.jpg

Hi Guy,

do you have by chance a close up 'birds eye' aerial shot of your boot and rack so that I could see just how close the fixing holes are to the edge of the boot panel. Can I ask what fixings you used and how easy was it to fit ? Was it worth it ?

Thanks

Jeremy

Jeremy,

I have used the rack for years and never had a problems with it.

The bottom fixings will go into the enclosed section of the lip.

My old fixings were a hex nut that screwed into a brass nut that slide up a plastic sleeve and they worked brilliantly.

The only thing to consider is to tell your co driver not to lift the boot by the rack, over time it will loosen as mine has done, this is over a period of six years though.

I had to remove them as was going on a trip and made a temporary repair by fitting the Hex nuts into an aquarium silicon. I have no idea were these nuts came from but think Rawlplug may do a more modern version which has a black rubber base, i havent had time recently to locate one.

DSC04567.jpg

DSC04569.jpg

DSC04571.jpg

Cheers

Guy

Edited by Jersey Royal

Guys

You have got me puzzled over blind fixings being needed.

Herewith my rack and the fixings.

Hope this might help.

Regards

Tim

Guys

You have got me puzzled over blind fixings being needed.

Herewith my rack and the fixings.

Regards

Tim

Thanks Tim,

The difference is that the racks we have seem longer than shown in your photos,with a front to back( hole centers ) dimension of 24.5 inches, and the lower fixing does end up in the enclosed section of the boot lip. :angry:

Dont know why

Cheers

Guy

Edited by Jersey Royal
Hi All,

Thanks for the info to date. I have checked the dimensions and it is the right size. However, the fixing holes are only just on the boot very close to the edges and the fixing kit I bought from Moss is just four hex heg bolts, washers and nuts. It looks like if I drilled through the front edge of the boot panel it would be seen in the rear deck/ boot panel gap and may clash with the boot compartment edge and the rear looks worse where I fear because of the boot lip falling back to the front of the car it would be impossible to get a nut in and secure the back ?

Any Thoughts or suggestions ?!

Many Thanks

Jeremy

hi Jeremy

Have just fitted my rack. I used a thedded rivit with nylon washer into the hole.

four stainless 6ml bolt screwed in just nice. sits 2 ml of new paintwork.

can,t help much with supplier came via friend of a friend you now the score.

regards

Darren.