Hi all,

I was talking to one of my mates today and as usual the conversation came around to which cars we are driving these days. I told him about my 3A and the blighter said that I was way to young to be driving a car of that age!!!! As you can inagine I made protest at this remark, suggesting that style has no age limit. The mate in question is a Golf GTI fan. A car in my eyes is a boring modern with little or no style. However, he was adamant that the TR would make me look like an old man. I explained ot him that I drive that car because I like the car and don't care what people think of me. It did raise a few questions though. Has anyone else came across this opinion and what is the average age of a TR driver? I'm 33 and don't think it matters how old a person is!

Flash

I was 35 when I purchased my long-door TR2, but have also found that the sterotypical image of the average TR2/TR3 driver is of someone much older.... must be something to do with side-screen cars as TR6's appear to have more of a macho younger man image!

I've always been interested in classics and when I was 17 my 1st car was over 25 years old and it's progressed from there. Personally I've never been into the plastic fantastic cars that the masses of little boys and girls drive today, but whatever floats your boat I suppose. In 10 years time I reckon their cars would have expired and our TR's ........... will hopefully still be around!

Hi all,

I was talking to one of my mates today and as usual the conversation came around to which cars we are driving these days. I told him about my 3A and the blighter said that I was way to young to be driving a car of that age!!!! As you can inagine I made protest at this remark, suggesting that style has no age limit. The mate in question is a Golf GTI fan. A car in my eyes is a boring modern with little or no style. However, he was adamant that the TR would make me look like an old man. I explained ot him that I drive that car because I like the car and don't care what people think of me. It did raise a few questions though. Has anyone else came across this opinion and what is the average age of a TR driver? I'm 33 and don't think it matters how old a person is!

Flash

I think Flash that your reaction is typical for a young bloke in thinking that what you do is important to other people, for example, what you wear or what you drive. When you get older you suddenly realise that nobody really notices you to any great extent and you start to do just what you want and when the family has grown up and left home it gives you more time and money to indulge yourself! Getting old is one of life's great pleasures, you can get up to all sorts of things that a younger bloke wouldn't do for fearing loss of credibility. So just do it!

Steve

Leaving aside the affordability issue for young drivers (on grounds of cost of TR and insurance), I think some young drivers will evolve into enthusiastic classic car owners and others will always regard a car as a mobile disco which has the added advantage of getting them from A to B.

My daughter's partner probably falls into the first category. Whilst he appreciates both our TRs, he has always wanted a Mk2 Golf GTi. After searching for the specific model and colour combination for over a year he finally bought one off eBay. Although it's a usable, everyday car, it needs a lot of work to get it to the condition he wants, and I can already see the familair pattern of classic car ownership emerging (lots of bits removed and new parts wants list growing). He will be 21 next week, but by the time he can afford a decent classis he will have learned (and spent) a lot.

By way of contrast, my son who is just 21, still has difficulty remembering or motivating himself to do the most basic checks and maintenance on his Saxo. However, he does quite a high mileage and as long as the music keeps playing he is happy. At least he has it serviced once a year and when something breaks, he is prepared to get stuck in to fix it with a little help from the old man.

Edited by BrianC

What I think looks worse is a 70 year old driving around in a modern Jap turbo sports type car. That really looks out of place, as if he is trying to go back to his youth. The youngster in an old classic is great, he is enjoying it and is not out of place. BTW I am closer to 70 than 33 , so no remarks about ageism!

The last TR I saw abroad last year was in September in St Tropez. It was a hot sunny afternoon and a good looking blonde girl, in her early twenties I would guess, was clearly cruising on her own, in a white TR3a. It may not have been hers of course, but I doubt she would have gone out in it if she didn't think it was cool. People are looking for something a bit different and if you could get a decent TR3a for the same price as Mk11 VW Golf I think you'd see more people in the TR regardless of their age. The down side is that TRs like anything of that era need more maintenance than a more modern Eurobox, and many now can't be bothered or no longer have the skill or interest to carry out even fairly routine maintenance. A decent one, with the exception of the 7 is also more expensive to buy in the first place, and hard to insure if you're young, so generally excludes youngsters on lowish budgets who want one car for all seasons.

Modern films and music videos still have a good selection of classic cars making appearances from time to time purely I think because they are different to the mass market.

Trevor

Edited by Trevor S

Flash, could your mate be just a tad jealous ?. Here in our State, our youngest club member had his 3A well before he obtained his licence at 18, and is now only in his mid 20's. Our oldest is nudging 90 with a much loved one owner 1954 Geranium Pink TR2. The 90 year old is our inspiration, not because we want a Geranium Pink 2, but because we all hope we can still take our TR's out for a gallop at that age.

A while back, in a succession of lapsed moments, somehow I found myself with four TR's, and the only feeble excuse I could offer her ladyship was that if one TR kept you young at heart, then four might hopefully quadruple the effect, hence there'd be no need of a toyboy !. Of course that went down like a lead balloon until a neighbour came to the rescue and took the 3B and 5. Then his wife started on him, and he had to unload his 3A and Corvette in rather a big hurry.

So instead of finding the elusive Elixir of Youth in our TR's, I think we both went grey together !.

Cheers,

Viv

Cheers Guys,

Maybe he was jelous!! It was a light hearted conversation though, mostly just banter between a couple of mates. Just give me cause to ask the question I suppose.

Steve, you couldn't have me more wrong mate. I don't do anything because of what other people think. I don't wear clothes that are in fashion and I don't drive what's in fashion. I wear and drive things that I like and I don't care if people other people don't like it. I also refuse to wear any clothes with the manufacture's name emblazoned anywhere on the garment.My generation's obsession with dressing alike and having the same hair as all their friends, I frankly find ridiculous. I don't in any way drive to the TR because of it's image. I drive it because I like how it drives and I like how it looks and to hell with the trendys!!

Flash

I was 20 when I bought my TR3A brand new. It will make 50 years this coming May. I'm still 20 years old. Age depends on many things - like your attitude to life, etc. I hope to see you all at the International this July with my TR.

Dear Mr Elliott, to have brought a TR3A new at the tender age of just 20 years must mean you are/were quite well off, the car must have been just over a thousand pounds way back then. ;)

When I graduated from high school I went to work at Pratt & Whitney where they build aircraft engines. Three years later, I bought my TR3A with my own savings. I got the lowest price from one of the four Triumph dealers here in Montreal. Graham Locke, a Brit with handlebar mustaches and who raced a TR3, operated Imported Cars. I paid a total of $2616 Cdn.

...which car, if any would be worth buying now and keeping for almost fifty years? I can't say I can think if any!!

I agree it's not easy, but one that springs immediately to mind is a Morgan. Buying new now, one would have to consider the likelihood of continued support and spares availability, so an existing base of enthusiasts, service dealers and spares suppliers, together with the fact that major components are taken from mass-produced cars should provide some measure of confidence.

However, who knows what legislation will apply to cars in general in 10 years time, let alone 50? :(

Just had another thought. Bearing in mind that for most people, one of the main attractions of keeping a classic car is the ability to do most of the maintenance and restoration work oneself, a Caterham or any of the 'Seven' kit-car clones would be a good long-term proposition.

Edited by BrianC
Guest Wayne S

If a TR3a was tuned and lowered with some nice tasteful go faster bits, it could well embaress matey's Golf GTi on the performance stakes as well as having oodles more style. I know a certain TR4 that does the very same with ease...

All of us young Triumph enthusiasts have remarks like that once in a while, I find the best reply is to take them for a spin, then they are less smug afterwards. :lol:

My TR mixes the best of both worlds, large bore loud exhaust, nice sound system but retro looks and essential regualar maintainence and occasional breakdowns. She gets far more fond looks and smiles than rude boys Saxo. ;)

Wayne S

Edited by Wayne S

My first experience with the British Bug was at the age of 17 when my parents gave me there spitfire after getting into a fender bender with it. With a summer job at a local body shop and a bright red paintjob six months later, It was one good looking car that every mate envied!! After 7 years of use and having to grow up, I sold it. But always maintained the memory and love for the British roadsters..........20 years later, OK 30 years but who's counting, I was able to re-live and AFORD, my long lost dream with the purchase of a wreck of a 58 MGA. With a puzzled look from my wife, lots of "When is it going to be done" from my kids, and a lot of determination by me, I completed in two yeaes a beautiful 58 MGA that was painted the same color as my Spitfire from 30 years ago. After impressing my wife with such a project, she has know given me permission to get my 59 TR3. She figures it keeps me out of the Bars :). I hope to pass the luv down to my to children who too are acquiring the fondness for the cars from me. That is providing I let them drive it they say!

My first experience with the British Bug was at the age of 17 when my parents gave me there spitfire after getting into a fender bender with it. With a summer job at a local body shop and a bright red paintjob six months later, It was one good looking car that every mate envied!! After 7 years of use and having to grow up, I sold it. But always maintained the memory and love for the British roadsters..........20 years later, OK 30 years but who's counting, I was able to re-live and AFORD, my long lost dream with the purchase of a wreck of a 58 MGA. With a puzzled look from my wife, lots of "When is it going to be done" from my kids, and a lot of determination by me, I completed in two yeaes a beautiful 58 MGA that was painted the same color as my Spitfire from 30 years ago. After impressing my wife with such a project, she has know given me permission to get my 59 TR3. She figures it keeps me out of the Bars :). I hope to pass the luv down to my to children who too are acquiring the fondness for the cars from me. That is providing I let them drive it they say!

I'm sorry to say that owning a TR has a lot to do with money. Having a TR in your garage is -lets be honest- expensive. A lot of us used to have a TR-ish car when they were young. Often, that car was thrashed (not many want to admit that, knowing now what they threw away then...). After that, the family-sized station cars or rep mobiles took over. Family and business came (and come) first.

Overhere in Holland, things are even worse: TRs are very expensive: asking prices for a total wreck are around 6000 GBP nowadays.

imho two reasons why most TR owners are a little older. When I attend my local meetings, all of us are above 40, even the TR6-owners. It's also a major problem for the Dutch classic cars scene!

Luckily, I know a few 'under 40 people' with classic cars. Some of them, because it gives them the opportunity to show off (classic car = money = wealth...), some of them, because they like them for what they are!

Last week, the day after Christmas, I was busy with the exhaust of my TR (don't ask!), when two youngsters came in: brother and sister, driving their father's TR4. "Because this car is sooo cool." I like that!

In a few years time, your mate will be driving a new Volkswagen Touran or -worse- an Volvo V70 with child seats and Ikea-parcels in the back, thinking about the good old GTI-days... You, on the other hand, will be driving a second hand, easy to maintain Toyota Corolla, because you've decided that a second hand car will get you from A to B without any problem. You do not need a new car, and it will save you money for the real things in live: TR parts!

Regards,

Menno

Hello,

I am 25 years old and love TRs. I am still looking to buy one (TR3 or TR4) with my father, which can help for the money. Personally, I know that this is not the most wanted car for a young guy (for the same price, we could have a Porsche Boxster), but I cannot resist to the temptation of old British cars !

Cheers,

Karl

10K could get you a Boxster with 100,000 miles on the clock. After you've spent £'s on parts and servicing over the years, the same car in 5 years will be worth 5K at most, maybe less. However, take your TR ....... in 5 years time, should be worth the same - so you're right Kral, it makes sense to buy a classic.

I'm in the bracket put forward by Menno van Rij. I drive a throwaway £250 car on a daily basis that can't depreciate any further and spend my cash on something that really counts & is enjoyed (even though it doesn't actually work at the moment - but that's part of the enjoyment of course) - isn't it? :blink:

Thats exactly where I'm At. Next week when I get back to the UK, I'll be buying a modern shopping cart for the family and a cheap runabout for me to get to work. The runabout will probably be a less valuble classic with a hardtop though. I just can't stand the modern generic rubish. The TR is my toy and although it won't see heavy rain or snow eill get driven every day that I can. I find I get to work in a much better mood after driving there in a fun car.

The car arrives in the UK about a week after I do and then I'll start the RHD conversion!

Flash

• 1 year later...

At 21 my TR was almost a daily driver. Around the same time I also owned a 1949 Morry Minor.

Driving the TR never pulled the birds, they were more interested in hot Toranas and Monaros, my TR was "too cold, too windy and messed up their hair".

Owning the TR pretty much ensured I had to mix with a much older crowd to share a similar interest.

Mychael

Driving the TR never pulled the birds, they were more interested in hot Toranas and Monaros, my TR was "too cold, too windy and messed up their hair".

Mychael

You should buy a sailing boat too! The ladies interested in sailing aren't bothered with 'too cold, too windy...' These are the girls interested in a TR. You've been fishing in the wrong pond!

Menno