Different seats in a TR4A

Hi everyone,

I am looking to replace my TR4A seats with ones with Headrests and while I could use the MOSS executive replacements these are quite pricy. Does anyone have experience of other seat types and some idea of the work involved in fitting them?

Thanks

Tony Thomson

Hi Tony, I am sure you are aware of the number one substitute, Mazda MX5 seats. A search on the forums will reveal many posts, even a recent one for mounting brackets. These are easy to install, cheapish, and have different arrangements regarding headrests, some have loudspeakers built in to the headrest.

As ever, it depends how much money you have.

Hi Tony,

Rhodri is quite right, the Mazda MX5 seat (as I have fitted in my 4) is a perfect fit and very easy to install. If you require speakers in the headrest then the model you need the seats from is the Eunos which if not mistaken was a 'grey import' Mazda version.

The Mazda seat bracket can be reworked easily to accept new drill holes to align with the captive nuts already set in the floor pan.

Phil

Hi Tony

I fitted Toyota MR2 seats to my 4A and they are very comfortable but not quite such a good fit as the MX5 seats as the hood frame when folded down touches the top of the MR2 seat backrest. However you can remove the headrests and the tonneau cover will fit without modification.

Edited by Robin Powell

I can endorse the choice of Mazda MX5 seats, having travelled to Sicily and back in June 2005 as passenger in Roy Macgregor's TR4 equipped with such seats, in fabric and with headrest. Despite the tremendous heat (well over 37 degress C in the shade), we were able to cover up to 450 miles in a day without any backache - and both of us are OAPs! Roy had fitted a roll-over bar and full harness seatbelts for each seat. If you can find a pair, grab them!

Ian Cornish

Thanks to each of you for your help.

It looks like the Mazda option is the one to go for then. Either MX5 (Eunos for speakers in headrest) or MR2.

Wolfhound's picture looked good.

Now I just need to find suitable seats at the right price. E-bay here I come.

Once I find suitable seats, what mods/changes do I need to make to fit them?

From your comments it seems to be a relatively trivial matter of drilling a few holes. Is that actually the case?

Thanks again

Tony

Hi,

I agree Mazda seats are the way to go, several of our group have them.

Try www.breakerlink you just put your request in on line then the specalist breaker contacts you the next day, I bought a set this way then a change of direction sold them on the forum.

Cheers

Sean

I feel sure I have seen information previously on the Forum concerning the method of fitting of Mazda seats into a TR4, and I am pretty sure someone was offering steel (painted) bracketry for the job at a not unreasonable price - try a search.

Ian Cornish