Uprated front hubs

I've seen them advertised, damned if I can remember where...........why not give S+S or Robsport a ring - whichever is closest to you- and ask if they know anything?

Mike

You could always give Jon Wolfe a ring on 01462 713690, he often has parts like that for sale. His website is http://www.btinternet.com/~jon.wolfe/ or email him at jon.wolfe@btinternet.com instead.

Gary

Edited by ngtf
  • 2 weeks later...
where can you get them ?...surely can't be secret :rolleyes:

You're quite right! Sometimes I just make things too complicated....... :rolleyes:

I am having a pair of TR7 front hubs made in aluminium in the next few weeks, by a firm called Pyburn Engineering, of Desborough, Kettering. Tel 01536 762094. Adrian is the contact.

Why the 'secrecy'? Well Jigsaw Racing Services were mentioned in a previous post as possible suppliers, I know them well. I also know that they supplied ally hubs for a short period only a couple of years ago, no more available - and that Pyburn had been the manufacturers! Apparently there had been an issue with some customers in the USA saying the hubs did not fit properly. So I thought I was in a bit of a quandary about mentioning a source over which there was a question mark, also if anyone contacted Jigsaw, they might not shall we say recommend Pyburn anyway?

But I am personally more than happy to use Adrian at Pyburn, as I have in the past for various bits of machining and fabrication. I know from calling on one or two business customers of mine in the past, who it turned out had also had work done by Pyburn, that they were similarly happy. Pyburn still have the hub data on their CNC. They have just replicated Stag front hubs and run a batch off for a well-known Stag supplier. At the end of the day, any suppliers of bits for TR's, large or small, you can find problem stories. It was Adrian who told me unsolicited about the apparent problem with the hubs and that after double-checking against original parts, he remained 100% certain of them matching exactly. So go figure?

Anyway to uprated outer bearings! I remember Adrian telling me long ago on first sight of a TR7 front hub, that he thought the outer bearing would struggle, especially if the car's performance was upped. He said that fitting something more substantial in should not be a problem. The only thing to bear in mind is that this work can only fit around the 'bread and butter' jobs for trade customers, same as for other similar small firms. I am asking Adrian to modify the hubs for me.

It's also worth bearing in mind that any competent engineers local to you should be able to machine original steel hubs to take a larger outer bearing, if not Pyburn. I just reckon that the cost of this work wouldn't be that far short of new hubs in ally? also Pyburn are familiar with the design and I want to take advantage of lower unsprung weight for my TR7 V8, which is used for racing (or will be in '08 after a 5-year break!). Will they win me races? :unsure:

Oops sorry forgot to say, may not make me faster but the car will be more likely to make it to the end of a race (have already had one outer bearing collapse in the past, wrecking the stub axle) and maybe the bearings won't need adjusting every race and replacing 3 times a year!

I'll be happy to report back when I've got these ally hubs fitted and tested, if you'd prefer to wait and see?

Alan

many thanks Alan , I'll give Adrian a call, out of interest what bearing would fit into the new hubs?

No problem but you've got me there! I guess the original inner bearing would be retained and a bearing from a proprietary supplier's catalogue be selected to do a beefier job for the outer, the hub being further machined to take it - obviously there's a limit to the outside dimension! As long as we were given the part number, then replacement would be no problem.

By the by Adrian doesn't have a trade order for TR7 hubs of course. He said he'd make me a pair from the existing drawings, possibly only 'cos he knows me already. He is one of the most helpful guys I've met, but maybe just maybe if his main work is heavy, he might turn other requests away, or at least delay them. Nothing precious going on, just normal pressures on a small business. So it might be an idea if I ask for you - and then you contact him, but go ahead anyway if you want to ;) . Put it another way, if a small number of other enquiries come in, only a batch run order say 50 sets might be considered - then we've lost the opportunity 'cos we'd never get S&S, Robsport etc interested in that? I'm talking to Adrian next week.

Cheers

Alan

OK, I understand where you're coming from Alan, if you can let me know how you get on that would be great, many thanks.

Oh have you any idea what sort of cost we're looking at? Obviously I'd hate to waste anyones time here. PM/email me if you prefer. Cheers

Jon

Ha I've just had a look on Jigsaw's website and ally hubs ARE available with "bearings to suit", don't know if that means standard ones or uprated! I've never looked on their website before, these hubs may have been on offer for some time? So I should check my facts first, right? :o

Advertised at £240/pr, I'm not interested myself at that price, I'd rather get my standard steel ones machined to take larger bearings. But if that price is OK for you guys and the hubs are 'uprated', then you might want to go the simpler route and talk to Jigsaw. But I'll still ask Pyburn if they'll make more than one pair for me and let you know and how much, next 2 weeks OK?

Alan

Hi this is what I've found out:

Pyburn will make pairs of TR7 hubs, out of 6082-T6 (formerly known as HE30) grade aluminium alloy. This is known as "aerospace quality", I see it is rated as medium/high strength, bear in mind same strength as steel for 1/3 weight. Suitable for powder-coating or especially anodising (gold anyone? :o ) if you wanted.

2nd bit of good news, £125/pair guideline max (+ VAT? don't know). Plain finish.

Plus no problem machining hubs to take larger outer taper-roller bearing. Main benefit is slower rotational speed on the rollers, cutting down heat generation. Also wider load spread and greater contact area against the 'D' washer that applies the preload to take out play. Pyburn just need time to find the correct bearings to do the job; they come in a multitude of sizes - inner/outer bores + depth. All you need to order the bearing is the cat. ref., any reputable bearing supplier can then offer that bearing size from various manufacturers, incl. Timken or the various Jap ones. The bearing might just happen to be one used in a Bugatti Veyron, or equally a trailer, who knows? Also quote the number off your original TR7 inner bearing and they can supply that as well, save dealing with multiple sources, otherwise just use the inner one from a set from Rimmers, e-bay etc, chuck the outer one.

There's always a but of course, Pyburn won't do anything until 6 individual orders come in, sounds reasonable to me given this isn't a trade order. So contact Adrian at Pyburn if interested and see what comes out of it ;).

To anyone who's PM'd me, hope this post does the trick

Cheers

Alan

Thanks Stricky.

Yes I've seen the TSI site. Perhaps I've got so carried away with the thought of some sexy alloy hubs I've forgotten perhaps the interest was just in the bearings and TSI offer a pair of modded standard steel hubs for c £90 the pair, complete with bearings and seals. I find shipping costs from the US can be pretty reasonable - and quick.

But Fraggle mentioned not having any luck with response from TSI (presumably it was them). Also you've got the problem the hubs are on an exchange basis - so will TSI make a surcharge or have you got to ship a pair of hubs over? and how do you find out? :blink: I guess if the comms problem is now sorted and the surcharge/exchange is reasonable, this might be the way to go. I see Robsport list s/hand hubs @ £12.50+VAT each, then you've got shipping on those, seems to work out in the end comparable to the option I've put forward. Or perhaps if you're car is off the road for some time, you could send your own :lol: I don't think I could be a**sed myself dealing with someone in the US if it's not a straight purchase deal.

Whatever I want new hubs and I want them in alloy. Lots of earlier TR's get fitted with them, esp for competition, the saving in unsprung weight really benefits the handling/braking - this is why alloy wheels first came in to fashion, yes?. You've got the Jigsaw ones at about twice Pyburn's estimate of cost, but then they're available now. As a comparison Merlin Motorsport offer GT6/Vitesse alloy hubs at £169+vat/pair.

Anyway I've put in thousands of words to bore everybody already, so for anyone still looking for uprated hubs, happy hunting, my head hurts.....

Alan