Bonnet release Handle

So I took my Dad out for a drive at last, show him how superior my TR6 is against his old MG (frankly just wanted him to know I hadn't bought a pup), and we got back, and I said I'd show him the engine. "Pull that lever there Dad, give it a tug as it sticks a bit"........

So he turns round to me with the handle in his hand as he was obviously superman in a previous life. The cable hasn't snapped, just the handle come off the cable, so fortunately (phew) I can still open the bonnet with a pair of pliers on the cable.

Fixing advice ? Can the handle successfully be crimped back onto the cable or is it just a damn sight easier to replace the whole cable and handle ?

Cheers,

Mart.

So I took my Dad out for a drive at last, show him how superior my TR6 is against his old MG (frankly just wanted him to know I hadn't bought a pup), and we got back, and I said I'd show him the engine. "Pull that lever there Dad, give it a tug as it sticks a bit"........

So he turns round to me with the handle in his hand as he was obviously superman in a previous life. The cable hasn't snapped, just the handle come off the cable, so fortunately (phew) I can still open the bonnet with a pair of pliers on the cable.

Fixing advice ? Can the handle successfully be crimped back onto the cable or is it just a damn sight easier to replace the whole cable and handle ?

Cheers,

Mart.

Martin I'd put a new cable on! Also, as you've been VERY lucky, I'd rig up a second security cable as a sop to your own particular God! See Roger Williams "How to Restore a TR6". If anyone wants to get you a Xmas present the book is well worth it.

Martin,

I would put some money on the lottery tonight you have been very lucky!!. I would back up grahama's suggestion and add a secondary release. You can probably make one up yourself.I purchased a simple kit from Malcolm at Prestige for around £12

about 4 years back...certainly gives peace of mind

Cheers Phil

Mart et al,

The prevailing replacement cable sheaths are NFG as they have crimped the plastic sheath sandwich-wise which allows the sheath to suck back into the quill when the cable requires more than a moderate tug. The cable/handle portion seems OK, just the sheath is bad ( for these go for the type that have no plastic cover ).

Confronted with a failure on mine I was able to release the bonnet ( hood in our parlance ) in 10 minutes by using a long screwdriver through the grommet hole for the heater and choke cables. It does require another hand to press directly over the latch at the right moment. No need IMO to buy the back-up kit which requires drilling in your [ possibly concourse ] bodywork ;)

Mart et al,

The prevailing replacement cable sheaths are NFG as they have crimped the plastic sheath sandwich-wise which allows the sheath to suck back into the quill when the cable requires more than a moderate tug. The cable/handle portion seems OK, just the sheath is bad ( for these go for the type that have no plastic cover ).

Confronted with a failure on mine I was able to release the bonnet ( hood in our parlance ) in 10 minutes by using a long screwdriver through the grommet hole for the heater and choke cables. It does require another hand to press directly over the latch at the right moment. No need IMO to buy the back-up kit which requires drilling in your [ possibly concourse ] bodywork ;)

Despite Tom's success, my recomendation would also be to install a new cable and a secondary release mechanism. Fishing for the release with a screwdriver through a grommet hole requires some dexterity and finesse in order to avoid shorting the battery. In a non concours car the simple commercial solution requires a 1/8 hole in the panel above the footwell. It might be possible to rig up something that did not require that hole (eg just leave the pull dangling but visible and reachable from underneath) and that was removable with just a 1/8 hole left in the bonnet latch mechanism for the concours jusges to nit pick.

Stan

Very lucky indeed!

The same happened to me a few weeks ago. I replaced the inner cable (easy) and got a secondary release kit from Prestige, as mentioned above. I happened to have a suitable size hole in the tub close to the brake and clutch MCs, so the secondary cable hangs into the drivers footwell. It works so well that it is easier than the original.

Ross

Definitely put in a second release cable. On completion of my rebuild the first thing to break was my NEW cable, the outer casing just scrunched up into where it was fixed under the dash :angry: . Luckily I had used my old tired looking cable as a back up ;) christ was I lucky!!

Lets not go back to that old chestnut on the quality of repro parts, there is a lot to be said from reusing the original where ever possible....

Justin.

Moss USA do an emegency kit for bonnet release, not sure if its available over here but may be worth a call.

Emegency bonnet release.Part number 807-088 $12.95

Stuart.

Edited by stuart

I recall in TRAction there was a brief article on this very subject around 2-3 years ago(?). There was even a drawing with ideal dimentions so as one could make their own - which I did!

It has been fitted for around two years now and is an inexpensive 'mod'. It is identical to the ebay link posted by 'EricTR6' above.

I do believe I still have the template tucked away in a safe place if anyone is interested... I am not back at home to fish it out until late next week.

Brgds

I've installed an emergency release. See: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Triumph-Bon...sspagenameZWDVW

In fact, it's the only bonnet release I use now ;)

These are available form different suppliers.

Cheers,

Eric

Eric that is exactly the same as the Moss one except its in stainless. Seems like a very neat and unobtrusive fitting.

Stuart.

I use a nylon cord bathroom light pull. It was originally a backup but has been my primary cable since the main one came away in my hand.

If you are fitting a replacement inner cable, note that they are very long and can accidentally short out the battery in a rather spectacular fashion if you try it for size carelessly. Ask me how I know!

andy

Moss-europe sell an emergency bonnet release for £7.95. Well worth it considering the the alternative machinations should the original cable fail. There is no need to do any drilling - just thread the cable through one of the many rubber grommets behind the drivers dashboard (RHD).

Yours

Paul

I've installed an emergency release. See: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Triumph-Bon...sspagenameZWDVW

In fact, it's the only bonnet release I use now ;)

These are available form different suppliers.

Cheers,

Eric

I have fitted one of these. It needed a bit of "fettling" but it works extremely well. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it.

Tony

I recall in TRAction there was a brief article on this very subject around 2-3 years ago(?). There was even a drawing with ideal dimentions so as one could make their own - which I did!

I do believe I still have the template tucked away in a safe place if anyone is interested... I am not back at home to fish it out until late next week.

Brgds

Here it is:

yr1844.jpg

...and if you'd like the installation instructions and a picture, click here. Sorry, I don't recall where I found these, or I'd give credit where it's due.

John