TR4A FGE 888C

• 5 years later...

Hi Roger,

I'm afraid I don't know where this car is now, but I think it's possible I bought it off the person you sold it to, when I was living in Wembley.

I bought a BRG 4A in the mid 70s and the reg ended 888C (but can't remember the leading letters).

It had 4 new wings and was in good condition, but as I was really a sidescreen man, I sold it at the end of the hot summer of 1976 for £350. Probably worth about £16,000 today in the same condition.

Perhaps this reply might reinvigorate the post!

Brian

Hi Brian,

I did fit four new wings to it. After only eight years on the road the wings were shot. When I purchased it from a chap in Ealing I thought the bubbly surface was some sort of textured paint finish (you stupid boy).

I painted the wings using aerosol cans in my mums back room - the smell was interesting.

It had no overdrive but went like stink.

I remember coming back from the Bier kellar in Windsor (almost certainly well over the limit) with three passengers doin g a 100mph down the M4.

I sold it to a chap from Wembly for £240.

For the three years I had it I didn't take one photo of it.

Thanks for the reply. At least somebody else enjoyed it as well. I'm sure it went to the big scrap heap in the sky.

Roger

Brian

It sounds like you bought it off of Roger as I am sure he sold it November 1975, which is when we found our first house to buy and married in June 1976.

Can you remember if it had the passenger grab handle covered in imitation fur material and a map light attached to the handle?

Roger always said he sold it to someone from Wembley.

I begged Roger not to sell that car, as a consequence of selling it we had to go on Honeymoon in that long hot summer in a Austin A35 which cost £10.00. Roger kept the A35 many years after he laid it up, with the intention of restoring it but he never did and he paid a scrap man to take it away in the end.

In the long run I am glad he restored/rebuilt a TR4A than the A35, much more fun!

Sue

A reply after five years, is this a record.....???????

Edited by SuzanneH

Hi Roger,

It sounds like I bought it off you after all!

I assumed there was an owner in the middle because you said it was a wreck in your original post, but as you fitted the new wings and I lived in Wembley, it sounds like too much of a coincidence. I had forgotten what I paid for it, so thanks for the reminder that I made a small profit after a year!!

A belated thank you, I really enjoyed the car, but preferred the low-cut doors of the sidescreens even then.

Pity there is no record of it now, but consider the power of Google. I saw your post from 2007 when I entered only "TR4A 888C".

Brian

Hello Sue,

Thanks for added note - this is turning into a 4A reunion family affair!

I don't remember the details you mention, but I can fully appreciate why you preferred the TR4A to an A35 (my earliest recollection of any of my father's cars in the 50s was an A30). Surely a honeymoon in that would have been grounds for divorce!!

I had recently sold an A40 Somerset and a TR2 before buying Roger's 4A.

Memories........I'm sure the Polo generation doesn't get as nostalgic over today's Euroboxes!

Brian