drive through spain

Hello All.

I am thinking about driving from Bilboa to Malaga. It's a trip that I have done at least 6 times and never took notice of the road conditions as I have always done it in modern cars. This time I would like to do it in my TR4A and would welcome comments on road conditions from anyone who has done a similar trip.

I am thinking about leaving the car in Spain as it would get a lot more use there than it does here. Again I would welcome any info on importing the car and also how practical it is owning/driving a TR in Spain.

Thanks

chris.b

Hi Chris

I took my 4 from the UK through France down to Almeria and back in September. The Spanish route took me via N1 San Sebastian, Miranda de Ebro, A62 Salamanca, N501/N110 Madrid. The ring road was very busy, try to get through outside rush hour if you go that way, A30 to Mercia, A7 to Almeria.

I avoided toll roads and used National Hwys as an alternative. From what I saw of the lower class roads they all looked fine, so in conclusion to your question, you can expect pretty much good going.

Best of luck

Phil

Hi Chris

I took my 4 from the UK through France down to Almeria and back in September. The Spanish route took me via N1 San Sebastian, Miranda de Ebro, A62 Salamanca, N501/N110 Madrid. The ring road was very busy, try to get through outside rush hour if you go that way, A30 to Mercia, A7 to Almeria.

I avoided toll roads and used National Hwys as an alternative. From what I saw of the lower class roads they all looked fine, so in conclusion to your question, you can expect pretty much good going.

Best of luck

Phil

Hi Chris

Best of luck

Phil

Thanks Phil.

I am impressed that you did the drive through France as well as Spain. I will take the easier option of the ferry to Bilboa which only leaves 600+miles to the south of Spain.

As you say, Madrid in the rush hour is a nightmare. On my last trip, there was an accident about 200 yards in front of me on the ring which held up traffic for about 3 hours. Fortunately, I was driving a convertable merc so I chilled out listening to music and reading a book. Unfortunately, by the time I arrived early evening in the south, my bald head was about the colour of beetroot.

chris.b