Tr7 press fleet

Guest pmorand

Hello all TR7 Press fleet fans. I recently spotted one of the 22 convertibles used at the launch in March 1980 on ebay. It didn't sell but if anyone wants to buy a restoration project with an interesting history let me know and I will pass on the sellers number.

• 2 years later...

Just wondering - what was the registration of the TR7

that Darryl Uprichard drove in the JoG-LE drive?

He drove his own car, 400 ?FPK in the first (economy!) run

from Lands End but drove a factory TR7 in the second.

I remember it was dark blue.

And where is it now?

AlanR

It's on the road now but there are few things i want to do before showing it - i will decide whether to finish it off and show it this year or next ... who knows, i may even pop over to Lincoln!

Good idea for the JRW's to get together ... 2020 will be their 40th!

Edited by Christopher Kenneth SMITH

I'm not sure how many of the 22 are left. The DVLA records still show an entry for 16 of them but who knows where they actually are.

5 of those 16 show they are SORNED so they must have been on the road or changed hands fairly recently. Only 1 has a current MOT.

I have one tucked away that might show it's face next year all being well.

I did email the TR7 registrar last year asking how many the club knew about but got no reply.

So I would guess there must be about 10 with the potential of turning a wheel again.

If you have a JRW car please let me know and I will compile a mini register to try and keep track of them.

Topoff, aka Laurence

• 6 years later...

I have just purchased a TR7 which is said to be one of the Woburn launch cars. I read there were 22 and 4 were white. Mine is white reg no JNY597V but informed originally JRW590V. I have the heritage trust certificate which confirms the build date of June 1979 RHD home market which I read is similar to the others and according to DVLA first registered 02/01/1980 similar to others.

The first private owner was a Miss Merriman who had the car 11/09/81 and because of this date it was sadly registered as a 1981 car as JFP898X and not on an age related plate. DVLA say there were two former keepers. Assume one was British Leyland but who was the other, have no info. to confirm either.

The second private owner was a Mrs Michie who had the car 07/07/82 and clearly she wanted an age related plate which was issued as JNJ597V but sadly not the original JRW590V. The car has remained on JNY597V ever since.

The last owner has indicated that it may have been on a private plate JD845 at some point.

Any help with the history of this car much appreciated.

Hi I spoke to the previous owner of this car when he had it listed on Ebay.  I asked him to confirm the VIN number and let him know it was originally JRW 590V.

He thought it may have been exported at some point as the tyres on it were an unusual brand.

You will have seen the general information about the press cars earlier on in this thread and 590V was certainly one of the 22.

If like mine it was taken off of the left hand drive  production line to be converted to right hand drive it will have some odd features such as an extension to the wiring loom to make it reach  the offside headlight and t should also have the cat flap type vents either side of the footwells which was a cooling feature for the States.

Both of mine were kept by the factory for about a year but i don't know how they disposed of them.

I don't know if you could get the original number back, it might be worth reading the traces and lost registrations section on the website to see if the register can help.

Keep in touch and let us know how you get on.  It would to get the cars we know about back together one day, maybe at Woburn Abbey.

Cheers. Laurence.

Message for Laurence.

Could not find any foot well vents and the carpets look to be the original. Also did not note an extension to the wiring loom. You say yours were kept by the factory for about a year but with my car it was 20 months (11/09/81)before the first private keeper. I have the original service book with just the 1000 mile free service stamp. That was done only a few days later at 949 miles (24/09/81) so a good proportion of the mileage could have been in the first 20 months. The fist owner had the car for only 10 months but the second had it for 15 years and the 3rd for 19 years. The PO acquired it in 2016 and restored/recommissioned it as it had not been on the road since 2006. So in the first 20 months DVLA indicate two keepers so if one was BL who was the other, perhaps the selling garage registered it. I do have there details but not checked if they still exist.

Melvyn 

Hi Melvyn. The vents are in the side panels in front of the A post with the door hinges.  The trim board which is covered in vinyl should have a large square hole in it to allow the flap to open.  It is possible to fit the trim board from the non vented cars which will cover the flap completely so it might be worth gently lifting the trim off to see behind.

Have you tried the DVLA information from records service?  They charge £5.00 but you have to have a good reason for enquiring.  When I asked I made a big thing of the fact the car was a pre-production press car that was important to the history of the mark.  If they go for it they should send copies of all the old V5s but they may remove some of the information because of GDPR.  Good luck. Laurence.