Fuel Injection

Currently running on triple Webers on my 73 T6 which sound great but use a lot of fuel ! After speakng to a guy at the Lakes weekend who has fuel injected a Dolomite sprint using Boch jetronic system from ford XR2 I gleaned a few ideas. He suggested that the system from the Ford capri 2.8 and Granada 2.8 could be adapted to fit the TR6 using the existing tr6 throttle bodies.

I have spent some time reading up on early fuel injection systems with a old Haynes manual and it does seem possible but after further thought i dont think the the ford cars were economocal either. So the way forward would be a more modern system with an ecu like one from Emerald. Has anyone out there adapted a system to fit the TR6 without going to the large expence of one of the systems with new throttle bodies etc.

Guest Simon Bolton
Currently running on triple Webers on my 73 T6 which sound great but use a lot of fuel ! After speakng to a guy at the Lakes weekend who has fuel injected a Dolomite sprint using Boch jetronic system from ford XR2 I gleaned a few ideas. He suggested that the system from the Ford capri 2.8 and Granada 2.8 could be adapted to fit the TR6 using the existing tr6 throttle bodies.

I have spent some time reading up on early fuel injection systems with a old Haynes manual and it does seem possible but after further thought i dont think the the ford cars were economocal either. So the way forward would be a more modern system with an ecu like one from Emerald. Has anyone out there adapted a system to fit the TR6 without going to the large expence of one of the systems with new throttle bodies etc.

Guest Simon Bolton

Hi Mark. Look on this forum - page 2 - titled 'getting a six to run properly'-page 2-reply from Tim Trinda-his web site. Or lots on the archive section. Best of luck Simon

Hi Mark.

If you take a look in Roger Williams book: How to improve your TR6 there is a chapter about EFI.

There are a few options to choose , buying a new computer programmable EFI system , or fitting an EFI system from adonor car.

It is very easy to adapt the electric injectors to a PI input manifoil.

The cheapest modern EFI is the Megasquirt.

If you go for other modern EFI systems you can expect to pay up to 1500-2000 pounds.

The Granada 2,8I have a Bosch K Jetronic mechanical injection , giving about 160 HP (if my Internet search is right)

If you take the injection from a running engine it should be no problem to adapt it to the TR6 engine.

The biggest challenge is to adapt the injectors and the Bosch air flow sensor to the PI air plenum.

I am running a Bosch L-Jetronic EFI on my TR6 , (from an Oper/Vauxhall Senator 2,5E)that system has been very reliable.The fuel consumption is between 1-1,2 liters per 10 km

First I used the EFI system with the standard six butterfly throttle bodies, but last year i changed to a single 75mm throttlebody mounted in the front

of the air plenum intake because I had problems with balancing the old ones.

Oystein

Hi,

A very interesting system is trijekt

www.trijekt.de

In recent years, I have 14 system built in Tr 6/5/250 .

All Sensors and Injektors comes from Bosch.

My own TR 6 now has more than 40000 km run with trijekt.

All 6 becomes a single butterfly trottlebody with 70 mm.

The engines run´s smooth like a bmw .

the best result for every day use and nürburgring nordschleife

gives with a 260° newman cam.

the power at the wheels is about 120-130 PS . (tested at my own rolling road)

The power is not dependent on trijekt.

Every EFI system is better than lucas and gives more economy for the future.

When you need pictures please mail.

The autosport enginering show in Birmigham 10-11 January 2008 is a very good opportunity

to order gather information,about many efi system .

Sorry for my bad english

Ralf

Edited by Schnippel
Hi,

A very interesting system is trijekt

www.trijekt.de

In recent years, I have 14 system built in Tr 6/5/250 .

All Sensors and Injektors comes from Bosch.

My own TR 6 now has more than 40000 km run with trijekt.

All 6 becomes a single butterfly trottlebody with 70 mm.

The engines run´s smooth like a bmw .

the best result for every day use and nürburgring nordschleife

gives with a 260° newman cam.

the power at the wheels is about 120-130 PS . (tested at my own rolling road)

The power is not dependent on trijekt.

Every EFI system is better than lucas and gives more economy for the future.

When you need pictures please mail.

The autosport enginering show in Birmigham 10-11 January 2008 is a very good opportunity

to order gather information,about many efi system .

Sorry for my bad english

Ralf

Thanks for that and everyone else for the input. I think this is a very worthwhile topic because the cost of fuel is rising rapidly and who knows what restictive legislation regarding fuel consumption/ emissions is lurking around the corner that may restrict the use of our classic cars in the future !!!

If the T.R. Register can come up with a reasonable cost modern P.I. system for the TR5 and TR6 it would help this problem. So keep the ideas coming !

MARK

Currently running on triple Webers on my 73 T6 which sound great but use a lot of fuel !

What's " a lot of fuel "?

If the Webers are set optimally they will surpass the fuel economy of the Lucas system ( OK, so big deal <_< ). Performance is hard to beat and reliability too. Why not play around with the slow running jets before throwing it all over for a complete new system :huh:

You can email me with the size you've got and I'll give you a couple of possibilities to try. The right choice can make a difference of 20-25% without compromising behaviour.