Whicj battery?

• 4 weeks later...
Get the most powerfull battery you can that will fit the space, as the TR6 uses a LOT!! of power to start up!!

I don't know if Optima batteries are available in the UK, but that is what I have in bowtie6. They are not cheap and they are far from 'original', but they are the absolute best. Optima batteries are dry cells and they sure hold a charge.

regards,

joe

• 1 month later...

Hi all,

My battery has finally given up the ghost so it's time to look for a replacement. The TR's my only car so it's going to be difficult for me to shop around, hence the appeal of online ordeling & delivery!

Any thoughts on this one? (Price includes delivery and VAT)

http://www.performancebatteries.co.uk/cgi-...gi?keywords=072

Etyres offer one for a similar price, including disposal of the old one.

http://www.etyres.co.uk/uk-car-batteries/s...cleTrimId=10460

Thanks!

Eli

Hi all,

My battery has finally given up the ghost so it's time to look for a replacement. The TR's my only car so it's going to be difficult for me to shop around, hence the appeal of online ordeling & delivery!

Appreciate your mobility problems, I have in the past bought online but not with stunning success.

Bought last month - my view- go in person to your local car accessory shop, or even Halfrauds, somewhere they sell a lot of batteries so their prices are good and the batteries are fresh.

Buy the biggest battery that will fit in the battery box.

Measure carefully including the height of the sides of the battery box, measure the battery carefully, batteries tend to have sticky-out bits at top and bottom, hence why I said measure the height carefully - wider at the top may not be a problem, you see what I mean?

Preferably get one that's a known make, rather than Super Power or the like.

Other than sheer size, look for high CCA (cold cranking amps) in preference to AH (amp hour). A diesel battery usually is a good starting point :lol:

As I say, the biggest that will fit.

Maintenance-free - all other factors - secondary.

Warning - lead prices have gone up a lot lately - the new battery for my V8 Landy was nearly £100 last month. :blink:

Appreciate your mobility problems, I have in the past bought online but not with stunning success.

Bought last month - my view- go in person to your local car accessory shop, or even Halfrauds, somewhere they sell a lot of batteries so their prices are good and the batteries are fresh.

Buy the biggest battery that will fit in the battery box.

Measure carefully including the height of the sides of the battery box, measure the battery carefully, batteries tend to have sticky-out bits at top and bottom, hence why I said measure the height carefully - wider at the top may not be a problem, you see what I mean?

Other than sheer size, look for high CCA (cold cranking amps) in preference to AH (amp hour). A diesel battery usually is a good starting point :lol:

As I say, the biggest that will fit.

Maintenance-free - all other factors - secondary.

Warning - lead prices have gone up a lot lately - the new battery for my V8 Landy was nearly £100 last month. :blink:

Cheers for this. Being in Central London, I'm going to get taken for a ride pricewise by most shops (of which there are very few!). I'll keep up the web search for high CCA batteries!

. :blink:

In addition to the sound advice from Ivor you also need to make sure that the +ve and -ve terminals are the correct shape and on the correct side! For what it is worth, I have an 069 in my 6 but only because that's what it came with.

Finally, Lead/Acid batteries are one of those items that price doesn't equal quality. There are only two manufacturers in the UK and they make most of the big name batteries. Imagine one production line with 25 labeling stations at the end and you get the picture. I buy batteries from Macro (wholesaler). The last one for my V8 Rangie was £25+Vat with a 3 Year guarantee!

Back in the seventies the spec I saw for the TR6 PI battery was the same as the Range Rover. Later, in the eighties, the parts books in the motor factors changed and they recommended a smaller battery. I assumed that might have suited cars with carburettors, but as somebody else has said, get the biggest one that will fit, these cars use a lot of amps.

I buy batteries from Macro (wholesaler). The last one for my V8 Rangie was £25+Vat with a 3 Year guarantee!

:o:(:wacko:

Thanks for all your help guys!

Bit the bullet, got a recovery truck round to start the car and made it to Halfords. Got a massive 072 battery (550 CCA) which is guaranteed for 4 years so that's one less thing to worry about. Got very little change from my one-er though.

No more purchases this month (pints aside!) as I'm saving up for a new set of tyres as my 18month-old Colways are looking increasingly dodgy. I sent c-tyres photos of the tyres asking for an explanation of the tread's cracking but unsurprisingly, I've had no news from them as they are in administration!

Thanks again :P

Eli