Quite a challenge there John, good luck with it.

You may already be aware that burning certain synthetic rubber materials, can in extreme circumstances produce hydroflouric acid....a particularly nasty substance if you touch it. http://www.theivr.com/technical.html

http://www.mawwfire.gov.uk/business_eng/ve...arson/viton.htm

john

Edited by johnny250
Quite a challenge there John, good luck with it.

You may already be aware that burning certain synthetic rubber materials, can in extreme circumstances produce hydroflouric acid....a particularly nasty substance if you touch it. http://www.theivr.com/technical.html

http://www.mawwfire.gov.uk/business_eng/ve...arson/viton.htm

john

Thanks for the timely advice John.

So far so good. Very messy and slow progress

Regards

John

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
Hi All

Just started the restoration of my TR5 see Northumbria Web site link below :rolleyes:

http://www.groups.tr-register.co.uk/northu...a/1968-tr5.html

I managed 2000 miles before taking the plunge due to the usual chassis problems. :angry:

5 years to go :blink:

Cheers

Sean

Sean judging by what you have found so far I would have thought that it looks like a pretty easy one to do and definitely shouldnt take you to 2012! :D

Stuart.

Sean judging by what you have found so far I would have thought that it looks like a pretty easy one to do and definitely shouldnt take you to 2012! :D

Stuart.

Hi Stuart,

I have suggested 5 years, so if I complete it sooner I will possibly feel I have acheived something.

The main restoration will be to the tub.

The car was restored in the late 80's with repeo panels.

I have 3 stanpart wings, still looking for a rear, the wings on the cars are ok rot wise but repros.

I have a replacement screen frame, and boot lid, the bonnet is good, two good reskinned doors.

The inner rear wings where replaced but not sure how good yet.

Front upper inner wing are plated so will require replacing with stanparts if I can find any.

Floors seem ok but I am expecting to have to replace them, bottom of rear inner wings / B posts look tatty.

Not sure as yet about scuttle and rear deck until paint is removed.

Chassis is f****d and I have a good replacement however it is a J Type so if anyone would like to swap for an A Type!!

Engine and gbox od all ran good but will be overhauled.

Interior will be changed back to original spec

One big problem I face what colour, original was Valencia!! :o

Keep an eye on Northumbria web site, Hoping to strip the car around March time. (Just moved house so full of decorating)

Cheers

Sean :rolleyes:

Hi Stuart,

I have suggested 5 years, so if I complete it sooner I will possibly feel I have acheived something.

The main restoration will be to the tub.

The car was restored in the late 80's with repeo panels.

I have 3 stanpart wings, still looking for a rear, the wings on the cars are ok rot wise but repros.

I have a replacement screen frame, and boot lid, the bonnet is good, two good reskinned doors.

The inner rear wings where replaced but not sure how good yet.

Front upper inner wing are plated so will require replacing with stanparts if I can find any.

Floors seem ok but I am expecting to have to replace them, bottom of rear inner wings / B posts look tatty.

Not sure as yet about scuttle and rear deck until paint is removed.

Chassis is f****d and I have a good replacement however it is a J Type so if anyone would like to swap for an A Type!!

Engine and gbox od all ran good but will be overhauled.

Interior will be changed back to original spec

One big problem I face what colour, original was Valencia!! :o

Keep an eye on Northumbria web site, Hoping to strip the car around March time. (Just moved house so full of decorating)

Cheers

Sean :rolleyes:

Sean shame about the chassis as I have just converted an "A" type to a "J" type!! Typical!

I would be inclined to stick with the original Valencia blue as there arent many left in that colour (too many being redone in red! )

Stuart.

Hi All

Just started the restoration of my TR5 see Northumbria Web site link below :rolleyes:

http://www.groups.tr-register.co.uk/northu...a/1968-tr5.html

I managed 2000 miles before taking the plunge due to the usual chassis problems. :angry:

5 years to go :blink:

Cheers

Sean

Hi Sean

hope things are going well, bonnet looks good

for the colour just look at Brian Archers 4

what colour interior was the original

i have scheduled completion before i retire so thats 2027

looking at the house extention next year, so once the above the garage is built i will start stripping

i have a chassis like yours, i was thinking of buying a new one from CTM £2500 ish

hope to meet up when i am home. John Scarr has some torque curves

regards

david

Hi Dave,

The original spec of my car was

Valencia Paint :angry:

Tan Interior :rolleyes:

Rostyles :rolleyes:

Black hood. :rolleyes:

At the moment I am thinking of returning it back to this spec but with a surrey top (for the wife)

I have now taken the doors off. See http://www.groups.tr-register.co.uk/northumbria/tr5.html

How about getting your 5 out the garage over Christmas and sending me some pics for the web site.

Cheers

Sean

Hi Dave,

At the moment I am thinking of returning it back to this spec but with a surrey top (for the wife)

I have now taken the doors off. See http://www.groups.tr-register.co.uk/northumbria/tr5.html

How about getting your 5 out the garage over Christmas and sending me some pics for the web site.

Cheers

Sean

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder....but beige interior and imitation wheels?? :P

john

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder....but beige interior and imitation wheels?? :P

john

While for me it's about the least favourite colour ( I can say that since my driver wears it ) it will nonetheless garner much acclaim from the general viewership, especially with the tan interior ( leather is of course preferable ).

The problem I've had with the disc wheels is they're wobbly, sporting ~0.040" runout minimum ( among the dozen or so I've got ) and finding a true set will be quite difficult. The hubcaps in pristine condition are very rare and expensive to achieve from a set in typical condition. If yours are nice it warrants using them at least for shows. If you want to drive it at highway speeds you'll probably want to get an alternative :(

• 2 weeks later...
Hi Dave,

HI Sean and everyone reading this, Merry Xmas

just got back from Tenerefe, the car doesnt move that well plus the conservatory furniture will fall off

when i get the extension finished i should be able to start the strip down , this should also coincide with the good weather

teh original spec sounds great plus a surrey will finish it off, however i am fitting the soft top to mine, i sold my surrey top one of those aluminium ones for £450 back in 97 have you seen the price of them now

i will get some photies in the summer

regards

david

Cheers

Sean

• 3 weeks later...
OK I had to get involved

X753 - one of the TR5 prototypes when I bought it

To be honest it looks a bit better now, but not much !!!!!

Cheers

Rather too many electrical fires for my liking (including my own)...seems to me that a battery isolating switch is a MUST have modification, even for a road car. I fitted mine to the dash (rheostat position) for quick action.

john

Edited by johnny250