Hi John

Knew it was hot in Oz............

On a serious note, it looks like it was a nice car so when you strip it to the shell you should have a good basis to work from.

With a bit of luck you can avoid the bodywork money pit that stalls so many restos

So head down, strip it... don't throw anything away Yet ! and lets hope you've got a gem of a shell to start from.

Would bank on a body off job though from the outset, then you'll know its right.

Keep us posted. and good luck!

Chris

Good luck John, keep us posted. As Chris said, it must look at it's worst now, will look better when stripped down, he is also correct with regards the bodywork costs, I know that from experience. When I looked at the photo first and saw the glove box hinged door, I though it was still on fire!.

Regards,

Wyn

WOW!

What's the CD in the door pocket? Does it still work?

The steering wheel looks in better condition than some on eBay.

Looks like a lot of work, but I'll bet it will be fun (at times).

Good luck and keep the pictures and story coming.

Pogo

I have heard of charcoal tinted windows but the same treatment for the guages is a neat touch.............................

Seriously though you will have a lot of work there but as everybody else has said it does look to have a good body to start with and thats worth a lot. Get started now locating all the parts you will need as it will make things easier when you come to "get mucked in".

Good luck and keep us all informed on developments.

Alan

X755

"Been there and done that already"

If it's any consolation to you this is how my car looked before the rebuild started:

IM005072.jpg

It's the one in front (obviously) plus the pile of gubbins directly behind!

Edited by claggy001

Claggy001,

Fantastic job!.I know the frustrations of rebuilding projects and I take my hat off to you.There is nothing better than driving her when completed.Oh what joy! and to all out there who are struggerling with their project be inspired by Claggy's.

Hope the TR5 goes well.

Regards Harry TR5 Nutter and now for my third MOT Saturday.Does'nt time fly by!. :rolleyes::lol:

If it's any consolation to you this is how my car looked before the rebuild started:

IM005072.jpg

Blimey!! even I would think twice about doing that one.

Well done that man :)

Stuart.

Thanks for all the replies and advice.

Mark ,I don't think I could ever match your efforts ,well done.

Guy, always enjoy reading your posts and admire your royal blue TR.

Chris, followed your pre Malvern saga with great interest - this will definately be a body off restoration as you suggest.

Allan, have started collecting bits already - thanks.

Mike, dust covers to protect me !.

FYI

Car was nut and bolt restored in mid 90's with little use since completion.

Damage as result of fuel leak at MU.

Insurance settlement,then offered for sale .

Will keep you posted on progress.

From what I can see so far it must have been a cracker !

John

PICT2258.jpg

PICT2248.jpg

PICT2231.jpg

PICT2216.jpg

John

looks better already, my 5 rebuild hopfully starts next year, your floors etc look Ok ,mine have holes and the conservatory furniture is still perched on top of it. (see picture Northumbria group)

mine is blue also

good luck as the rest of the lads have said, look forward to the pictures in the coming months, years, decades (mine been in the garage 14 years so far)

regards

david

Thought you guys might be interested in some shots of my recent purchase. (if I can work out how to attach the photos)

To own a TR5 has been a lifetime ambition.

Only positive comments please - I need support.

Great car John,,, I have a dark blue 5,,all restored now, gimme your e,mail adress, and i`ll send you some pics,,make you feel that its gonna be all worth it in the end,

Billy.

John

TR5006.jpg

TR5005.jpg

TR5001.jpg

IM005072.jpg

Sorry to disappoint anyone, but I bought the car once the restoration was underway. I wish I had the skills to tackle such a project myself, but am sadly lacking in that direction :(

However I was able to derive satisfaction from managing the project, advising on and sourcing missing parts, and am now the happy owner of a very useable car that is 'good as new'.

Mark,

Since you are just down the road from me (Stotfold), I would be interested to know if your restorer was local (not that I have any immediate requirements, but who knows what the future holds?)

Hi Brian,

To avoid hijacking this thread I've p.m'd you.

All the best,

John

looks better already, my 5 rebuild hopfully starts next year, your floors etc look Ok ,mine have holes and the conservatory furniture is still perched on top of it. (see picture Northumbria group)

mine is blue also

good luck as the rest of the lads have said, look forward to the pictures in the coming months, years, decades (mine been in the garage 14 years so far)

regards

david

Thanks David.

I still can't believe that I really own this car.

Good luck with your restoration.

Regards

John

I bow to you stalwarts with these TR5 basket cases -_-

You're looking at ~ 4000 hours of work to reach " perfection " ( an unattainable state yet that which we set our sights on ). It's good to know that standing record expenditures on these will likely be exceeded in good measure ;).

Once it makes its official debut I'll send some pics of one such contender which began its makeover with scarcely any rust ( still has the original sills ). Were it not for a dimple in the driver's door from the inside out ( from a falling glass assembly ) I'd be done with her by now - but it's back to the shop for a repair 1st :(