'clonk' from fr right on full lock right

Hi all,

Noticed a *clonk* when turning on full lock right (or a serious right, like round a roundabout etc). Seems to come from the nearside wheel. Going to have a service pre a track day to hopefully sort this and anything else (the track is Goodwood and as all the bends are right hand ones, I think I'd better get this sorted!).

Any suggestions as to what it might be appreciated.

Try jacking up the front and turning full lock, spin the wheel and see if there is a clonk. If not, then may indicate it only happens when the suspension is loaded. Near side anti-roll bar link broken maybe?

Andy

Edited by 67_gt6

Is it a clonk, clonk, clonk, in time with the wheel rotation or a single clonk as the suspension loads up? The former is probably associated with the wheel bearing or stub axle assembly; the later would indicate something on the suspension assembly is loose, badly worn or even broken. Could be the anti-roll bar link as Andy suggests (the rubber insert fails) or the rack moving if you still have the rubber compression mounts; if these are OK you then need to take a closer look at the wishbone rubbers, lower trunion & top ball joint; I would certainly strip & check it our thoroughly before that track day or the extra load put on the suspension could end in component failure & a spectacular “off” into the scenery!

Thanks Richard and Andy....it is a single clonk.

Will investigate and make sure I banish it before loading it at Goodwood and risking an extra wide bend!!

Front sus assemblies on 6's can give completely give out without warning........not pleasant. My O/S went (luckily whilst recersing out of the drive at a snails pace) Oversize wheel/tyre combos can exacerbate this............

Steve

If you have wire wheels on your six check the splines on the adapter are in good condotion. Normally they wear on the rear axle but you never know. They can make quite a clonk when worn

Cheers

Alan

Front sus assemblies on 6's can give completely give out without warning........not pleasant. My O/S went (luckily whilst recersing out of the drive at a snails pace) Oversize wheel/tyre combos can exacerbate this............

Neil, was it the rear lower mounting bracket that broke away from the chassis?

Andy

Neil, was it the rear lower mounting bracket that broke away from the chassis?

Andy

From memory, yes. Net result was the entire assembly ripping off. Apparently, it's usually the nearside that goes due to kerbing etc. over the years. Had them both beefed up when repaired.........to think I drove the car at motorway speeds happily without realising...........................

I believe it is often the rear ones that go, and often on application of brakes when reversing. Both the rear mountings on my 4A have had the strengtheners fitted by previous owner, but not the fronts. Plan to get the fronts done this winter as part of an overhaul.

Andy