Fuel line route

Having a bit of trouble when my TR4 overheats (regularly, and always in nose to tail traffic) The engine starts to play up (missing, stalling) and I believe that it could be fuel starvation to the carbs because of evaporation. The odd thing is that when the temp gauge returns to normal the problem remains and I have to pull over for an hour or so...then all's well again! Until of course the next traffic jam :angry: I suspect it might be because the fuel line runs up and over the engine between the thermostat housing and the front of the rocker cover. Is this the norm? I would be grateful if someone out there sent me a photo of their engine bay showing the route of the fuel line so that I could confirm.

My TR3 had this type of problem. I am convinced that it was the coil as whenever it stopped I pulled off the fuel line and I got lots of petrol out.

Now the coil is changed and it has not missed a beat.

I fitted stainless steel sheilds between the exhaust and float bowls with no effect.

Mine would be very difficult to start sometimes when hot, and if miss firing on a run a brief stop whilst I mistakenly changed the condensor 'cured' it.

Try the coil is my recommendation.

Good luck

Thanks John. A change of coil was recommended by a friend and I have yet to get around to it. I think you have nailed the culprit but I would still appreciate a photo or two from anybody so that I can get the fuel line routed properly.

Edited by lindatr4

Hi Linda, I enclose another photo which as you can see is of a TR3 engine bay but the location of the fuel pipe run is exactly the same as on a 4, and Stuart's picture logically follows on from where the pipe goes out of shot at the front of the engine on my picture.

I don't want to be the bearer of bad news but my TR4 has the pipe run as shown above but I still get similar problems to you from time to time. However the engine never falters on mine it it just that when it is hot and I switch it off sometimes and then wish to restart it within a few minutes it won't re-start. Once it's cooled down it is fine again. Like you I have got to check the coil, although I had the same problem a few years ago with a different coil. People who understand car electricity better than me (most people), seemed to think it could have been a reduced flow of electricity to the coil when the engine was hot. I was told when it wouldn't start when hot to temporarily run a wire from the + terminal on the battery to the + terminal on the coil and then try and start it. This seemed to work, so I fitted a relay (under instruction) to assist the situation. However I still get the problem from time to time on hot summer days. I am going to try some heat wrap around the exhaust manifold next and see if this makes any difference. It is a standard exhaust manifold. I am led to believe that the engines run hotter with unleaded fuel than they used to, as presumably this wasn't a problem with these cars when they were new.

Good luck, I hope you solve the problem.

Trevor.

They do run hotter on unleaded but my money would still be on your coil. I moved the one on my TR4a to the inner wing and swopped for a sports coil after I had the same problem develop after I started running twin 40s and underbonnet temperatures went up because of my enthusiastic driving!!

Stuart.

Thanks John & Stuart, I'll investigate the coil first, and look into what you say about heat wrap John. I carry a spare coil in the car but it's down the side of the spare wheel section of the boot ! I know a couple of people who converted to sports coils with otherwise pretty standard cars but they then started to get problems with rotor arms. Coincidence possibly, but I think I'll stick with a standard coil first and see how I get on.

Regards

Trevor.

In that case sports coil on the inner wing and a new rotor arm from Martin (Distributor Doctor ) is called for!!

Stuart.

had this problem with my TR3 and all was cured by an overhauled distributor from The Doctor. He will explain the rotor arm situation to you. Now I have no hesitation in turning the engine off in jams and we restart with ease. my distributor was overhauled before and apparently was then fitted with nonmatching springs and weights.

I was a fan of easystart and now need no choke and run so much better. He is not cheap but I am very happy to spend £200 to have a proper car again after ten years.

Try the distributor and coil and you will be home and dry.