Brakes discs

Hello, Does anyone have experience of using the grooved/holed brake discs ? I've just fitted some - new from TR shop, Lucas TRW type and have now run them for approx 200 miles so they should have more or less bedded in by now. They fitted fine and work well, but they make a noise - like washers rattling in a box. I suppose you have to expect that as the brake pads run over the grooves and holes. But I'm curious to know, has everyone esle that's fitted these had the same problem. Has it gone away after more use, or do just live with it ? It's annoying. The motivation to fit them was simply to ensure I had a slightly better brake under hot conditions. On my recent trip to Greece, up/down the mountains,loaded up and heavy, I felt the standard discs were just getting to their limit and I was begining to get a little brake fade. But I must confess other than that there were gnerally fine and under normal conditions there is little or no difference between the types of disc.

Bill

Rather than just offer my opinions, go to the Ten-Tenths site for a wide discusison of the benefits and disadvantages of drilled or grooved brake discs;

See: http://www.ten-tenths.com/forum/showthread.php?t=98745

And Bill, I agree with David. 'Fade' is a property of the brake pad material, not the discs. All manufacturers offer a wide range of materials for different applications, that operate in different temperature ranges. My favourite is Mintex 1155, which is not so 'hard' as to be useless in slow road work, but never fades, even on the race track.

John

The problem with most standard, cheap repro disks on the marked is that they are of an appalling quality. Leave the car outside for 2 nights and they are covered with surface rust, ok this also happened to original disks, but not after 2 nights :angry:

I have some of Revington's slotted disks, made in Australia, I think they are a better steel quality and they do not display surface rust as quickly as the standard repros ;)

To come back on the exellent forum mentioned by John, I did read it from A to Z, and concluded hat there was no consensus about what kind of disks should be given priority, the only fact most people agreed with, was that drilled disks have a shorter lifespan as cracks develop after a certain time in race application. But this, as also mentioned, is hardly a subject in normal street use. With regard to gazing from pads, and the necessity for holes in the disks, there were only contradictions :(

By chance I watched yesterday on NGC the building of Ferrari,s new Supercar, the 599, top speed 350km/h. A kind of retro Ferrari, V12 in front and gearbox/diff in the rear. According to the engineers, although excluding the use of carbon fibre, the brakes are as close as they could get to F1 capability. To my great surprise I noticed that the disks are ventilated and drilled, and very large :) but should we tell them about the risks of cracks :D:D

They fitted fine and work well, but they make a noise - like washers rattling in a box.

Bill, surely a noise like that implies the pads moving in their slots which would have nothing to do with the type of disc (unless you drive with your foot on the brake pedal all the time!).

I swear by slots and holes since I fitted them and they do make more noise but it is a sort of 'swishing' noise, but only when applied lightly.

Can't agree with the comment about Mintex 1155's - they do NOT work from cold. Try Hawke HPS which do.

Jerry

Hi Bill,

I had drilled & slotted discs a while ago and during brake application there was a dull throbbing pulsating sound as if a piece of card was rubbing against the wheel spokes (what a childhood I had - couldn't afford the Triang Motor-roar).

Brakes worked OK with Green Stuff.

I now have the EBC vented and slotted discs (no drilled holes) and these are silent. Still with Green Stuff pads - OK under normal conditions.

Rgds

Roger

• 11 years later...

Can these be used with original callipers.? I’m in the rebuild process and currently looking at types of discs too... 

As far as I know the EBC vented set is sold out.

Other solution is the vented disc and 4 piston caliper set from Toyota.

Somebody reported that here or at Sideways.

I have the 24mm vented disc from Ford with my own spacers in original calipers in use.

The best solution in my opinion because stock brake pads can be used and brake balance is original.

The disadvantage of all vented sets is that spacers put the caliper a little bit

to the outside that it will interfear with the steel rims. Wheel spacers can and

must be used to clear the caliper. Wires and alus fit perfect.

I bought my kit from Hi Spec and I think the vented disc were from BMW and predrilled to suit.These are four pot and supplied with green stuff which I hated and soon changed to Mintex 1144,s. After chatting to members in the know, I changed the the pads to Hawk HPS, less dust and lovely bite.After some spirited driving up and down Balloon "D" Alsace (in France) there was no brake fade and worked every time.Mind you Mintex was nearly same but a lot more dusty. So the disc's have plenty of providence coming from BMW.

I fitted the above to my TR5 in 2006 (I think) and they just work.

Regards Harry

• 1 month later...

Hello, I have Brembo rotors,no backing plates and Project mu club racer pads on my TR6 but havn't used them in anger yet. Most of my bikes have cross drilled rotors,e.g. 1984 Laverda Jota with well over 115,000 km.(mostly Hard inc.track) and no sign of any cracks,but I suppose they are not hiding behind wheels and backing plates.Regards,Michael. PS cross drilled = less un-sprung weight?