Dashboard Painting

Hi,

I have to soon remove my dashboard to install a new heater matrix. The grey dash is looking tired and i am considering spray painting with grey bumper paint as in the restoration book by roger williams. Has anybody done this?

Does it last? If i do spray will i end up obliterating the heater transfer on the lower console. ?

Anybody got any advice. ?

Hi, the grey bumper paint does work, it does last, and the heater control instructions can easily be masked off. My dash has been done and it still looks as good as new after 10 years. The hardest part is taking the dash out so you are halfway there already.

Hi,

I have to soon remove my dashboard to install a new heater matrix. The grey dash is looking tired and i am considering spray painting with grey bumper paint as in the restoration book by roger williams. Has anybody done this?

Does it last? If i do spray will i end up obliterating the heater transfer on the lower console. ?

Anybody got any advice. ?

Clean dashboards come up on ebay quite often and many people break TRs and advertise all parts on Ebay also, my experience is that it scratches very easily with rings, keys thrown on top by mistake etc.

Chris

I have previously spent a long time working with a local paint factors to identify the correct 'recipe' in terms of colour and matting to match individual grey dash components with existing trim. I was able to respray black dash components, which crop up more frequently, in the correct grey.

DSC00275.jpg

The heater console was restored using this paint, and the centre cubby box & gear lever surround were recoloured from black. PM me for the recipe if you're interested, you can then have an aerosol made up by a professional paint factors.

• 10 years later...

Hi can anyone contact Claggy001 for me?

I see he has a contact for TR7 grey dash paint.

Likewise does anyone know of a good product for painting plasic that cones in the right shade of grey?

Thanks. Laurence.

Hi Topoff,

You have a pm.

For anyone else who stumbles across this thread the recipe is:

Rover Tempest Grey II (paint code LOQ / 902)

5 grams extra matt for a 400ml aerosol.

Key up the parts using scotchbrite, after all this time can't recall if I used a plastic primer or not.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

This may seem criminal to some, but I purchased a black leather with green stitching kit for my tatty dashboard. Removed all the dash and took my time getting a perfect fit, looked lovely! Then during this years heatwave some of the joins widened. Still looks good, but maybe painting it would have been a better option!

Just for the record, I have a complete spare dashboard that I will retain in case any future owner wants to convert back to original.