Chestnut House Sports Cars - Chris Carter

Hi all

OK, now that I have to strip the engine, I am thinking of putting it back with a modified head.

Years ago I had one done for my previous TR250 by Chris Carter of Chestnut House Sports Cars that was superb, anyone know if he is still around?

Steve

Guest Wayne S

Hi Stevie,

I know Chris well, he lives near me and will be sure to direct him to your posting when I speak to him later today. perhaps you could PM me with a phone number for me to pass on?

Just to add, Chestnut Classics has long gone from Barnack, quite a sad loss actually.

Wayne

Edited by Wayne S
  • 3 years later...

Hi Stevie,

I know Chris well, he lives near me and will be sure to direct him

to your posting when I speak to him later today. perhaps you could

PM me with a phone number for me to pass on?

Just to add, Chestnut Classics has long gone from Barnack, quite a

sad loss actually.

I have just discovered that the modified and unleaded TR4

cylinder head that bought from Chestnut Cars - and paid

quite a bit for - is NOT unleaded and that the head itself

has been repaired in such a way that converting it now to

unleaded would likely be impossible.

The head is effectively scrap.

The head was supplied some time ago - it's been on the

shelf waiting to be fitted for a variety of reasons.

From my viewpoint, it's a good thing he's gone back to

farming.

AlanR

Edited by TR 2100

That's a bit harsh - Chestnut House went long before leaded fuel did so perhaps a repair that didn't take into account possible future conversion to unleaded is not surprising. Was it cracked between valves & then welded up? I think Chris Carter was only briefly involved with the business after he sold it & it moved from his farm to Barnack.

Incidentally a lot of TR heads (particularly with big valves) are often deemed impossible to convert to unleaded. Usually this is because there is too little metal between inlet & exhaust valves to accomodate regular hardened valve seat inserts. However some machine shops can get hold of more "slimline profile" seats that can be fitted. What one labed scrap can be repaired by those in the know.

That's a bit harsh - Chestnut House went long before leaded fuel did so perhaps a repair that didn't take into account possible future conversion to unleaded is not surprising. Was it cracked between valves & then welded up? I think Chris Carter was only briefly involved with the business after he sold it & it moved from his farm to Barnack.

Incidentally a lot of TR heads (particularly with big valves) are often deemed impossible to convert to unleaded. Usually this is because there is too little metal between inlet & exhaust valves to accomodate regular hardened valve seat inserts. However some machine shops can get hold of more "slimline profile" seats that can be fitted. What one labed scrap can be repaired by those in the know.

Hi Andy,

My comment is strictly factual.

I still have the receipt from Chestnut Cars stating 'unleaded head' and the

correspondence I exchanged with Chris Carter.

I'm told by my garage that it is NOT unleaded and that there is a repair

between nos. 3&4 valves, making it impossible now to convert to unleaded.

AlanR

• 3 years later...

The engine currently in my TR6 was done by Chris Carter. When I bought the car 13 years ago now, I tracked him down and he was very helpful with info on the engine and details on the non standard cam that was fitted to it. Still, that's not to say everyone has a positive experience I guess.