Hi all,

This afternoon I opened the last box that came with my TR when I bought the car a few years ago. Both side screens were in that box. That is, the side screen ‘skeletons’. They are in great shape and they are the correct type for my car. But they come without the glass (Perspex) windows, channels and pvc covering. Just –as said- the skeletons.

Hence my question: do you have side screen pics. (pref. in detail, especially the hardware: window channelling, furlex strips etc).

By reading this forum and looking at pics in Bill P’s book, I know that refurbishing the side screens is not easy. Attaching the upholstery to the fixed front window will be challenging, I think. So, all useful advice on that subject is also very welcome!

Regards,

Menno

Hi all,

This afternoon I opened the last box that came with my TR when I bought the car a few years ago. Both side screens were in that box. That is, the side screen ‘skeletons’. They are in great shape and they are the correct type for my car. But they come without the glass (Perspex) windows, channels and pvc covering. Just –as said- the skeletons.

Hence my question: do you have side screen pics. (pref. in detail, especially the hardware: window channelling, furlex strips etc).

By reading this forum and looking at pics in Bill P’s book, I know that refurbishing the side screens is not easy. Attaching the upholstery to the fixed front window will be challenging, I think. So, all useful advice on that subject is also very welcome!

Regards,

Menno

Hello Menno,

are you going to try and recover the sidescreens yourself? I also have only the steel frames only and nothing else. I was given a tip by TR Bitz to fit the bare frames to the door, and see how they fit to the windscreen. if it doesnt line up properly to the screen this is the time to cut and adjust the frame until it does fit.

They told me that so many people have their sidescreens proffessionally covered only to then find out that they fit very badly.

I am also told that a special sewing machine is required to do this job and not all upholstery companies have this machine. I am going to make my frames fit, and then send them to be

recovered by a company that TR bitz reccomended in a dark red to match the new interior that I will fit myself, I dont think I have the expertise to reupholster the sidescreens.

good luck to you, your a brave man

regards

Peter

I was given a tip by TR Bitz to fit the bare frames to the door, and see how they fit to the windscreen. if it doesnt line up properly to the screen this is the time to cut and adjust the frame until it does fit.

Peter,

You are right about fitting before reupholstering the s/screens! For the time being I think that it's good practice to collect as many pieces for the puzzle as possible. So, perspex windows (very expensive items for what you get!), fabric / vinyl and a sewing machine. The latter should be a special one, with a long arm. For me, there are two options: A. buying a professional sewing machine (pref. Adler) on eBay and selling it afterwards, or B. turn to my yacht building friends; they have the equipment for sewing spray hoods and sails.

For now, what puzzles me the most is the window channel that runs around the perspex fixed and running window. I really need a detailed picture of that stuff!

btw: I've uploaded new pics of my project on photobucket.com; go to 'photo album' on my home page and than select 'dismantling June 07'

Two guys I know (Raimond and Allen) have helped me, and went on dismantling whenever I went to work. (Hence all pics are called "RaienAllen...") We took a few hunderd pics, on photobucket there's a synopsis: about 20 pics.

Menno

Hi Menno,

The key to fitting rebuilt sidescreens is to leave the mounting brackets off the inside of the doors until you have the car finished and the roof up.

Then offer up the sidescreen to the car and position it for best fit. Have someone hold it there exactly as you position it.

Next go inside the car from the other side and attach the two mounting brackets to the sidescreen.

The high side of the angle at the top of the each mounting bracket goes towards the edge of the door.

Then use a marker through the four mounting bracket holes to give the drill centres for fixing the mounting brackets to the inside of the doors.

After all this you can find when attaching the sidescreen to the door that it is too far in or out at the top. To fix this you have to very carefully bend either one or both of the sidescreen attachment arms. This is hard to do as they are strong, and it is easy to bend them the wrong way and have the sidescreen further out or in than when you started, so you have to think it through and double check before bending these arms.

Don't worry, there is a worse job to come, which is fitting new aluminium ferrels for the dzuz fasteners on the bonnet. I have a method from trial and error when you get to this.

Best regards,

Viv.