Seats; differend angles of the back plate

Hi all,

This weekend the weather was great over here in Holland, so I took the seats out into teh garden and started taking off the upholstery, making lots of pictures ‘before’ ‘during’ and ‘after’. And here they are again: questions!

(Viewing my other postings, I would say that there’s a lot to be answered, thank you all for your contribution so far!).

First, a strange one perhaps. When I bought my car a few years ago, it came with seats, but they were just dumped into the tub. During the initial build-up of the car, I just put the seats in, not knowing where to put the one with the fixed back and the other one. It’s a LHD car, so what’s the right position of each seat?

Then, when they were in the car for the last few years, I noticed a slight difference in the angle of the back: Viewed form the side, the profile of the fixed seat is more upright and the profile of the other seat is more angled backwards. I found out, that the moveable back has to be tilted forward to match the fixed one. Then there’s a half inch gap between the bottom of the back and the 1.5.x 0.5 inch stops.

After removing the upholstery, the gap has become larger (off course, the thickness of the upholstery compensates the distance between both halves).

So, is it normal that there’s a difference in angle between the profile of both seats (if not, how to overcome this?)

The metal beneath the upholstery isn’t in great shape: rusty, pitted and the metal has cracks near the bolt holes (see pic). So, out with the wire brush and welding torch to clean and repair. I’m considering powder coating for these items.

The cushion springs are in a really bad state: broken and crumbled. I don’t know if I want that kind of filling again. A more modern product will do nicely, I think!

Menno

Edited by Menno van Rij

Hi Menno,

The tilting seat was fitted to the passenger's side to allow access to the occasional back seat, if fitted.

The passenger's side of the car was of course, the safe side from which to enter the back seat.

The angle of the backs of both types of seat was the same when new. However, over time passengers getting into the car tended to lean on the back of the tilting seat and bend it back. The distortion was actually in the seat base where it overhung the back of the attaching runners. If the seat bases became rusted, that weakened them further.

Regarding retrimming the seats, I ditched the old spring setup in the cushion for a graduated foam rubber sandwich filling which is very comfortable over long journeys. Any competent trimmer should be able to make the foam up. Mine have three layers of foam in the sandwich, with the densest at the bottom, but two layers of foam also works .

Best regards,

Viv

If you want real comfort make the top layer from "tempur" memory foam its unbelievably comfortable.

Stuart.

Viv, Stuart,

Thank you for your input. And off course it's all so logical: passengers getting in the car on the safe side. Why didn't I think of that one myself!

As for the spring set up: well that's a mess. I will go the cushion-route. Ditch the springs. I've sat in a TR with new cushion springs. I felt seasick!

Tempur is a great material. I know the material first hand (my own bed at home). I will consider it!

The mystery of the seats’angle has become more clearly now. In my case the back isn't rusted, but the boltholes for the two bolts pivoting the back of the seat have become oblong, thus tilting the back further backwards. Some welding must be done in that area, making both holes perfect round again!

Menno

Edited by Menno van Rij
Viv, Stuart,

Thank you for your input. And off course it's all so logical: passengers getting in the car on the safe side. Why didn't I think of that one myself!

As for the spring set up: well that's a mess. I will go the cushion-route. Ditch the springs. I've sat in a TR with new cushion springs. I felt seasick!

Tempur is a great material. I know the material first hand (my own bed at home). I will consider it!

The mystery of the seats’angle has become more clearly now. In my case the back isn't rusted, but the boltholes for the two bolts pivoting the back of the seat have become oblong, thus tilting the back further backwards. Some welding must be done in that area, making both holes perfect round again!

Menno

Menno you may find a better repair for the oblong holes is to weld on to the hole a large flat washer with a corresponding size hole in the centre. They are known over here as repair washers. It spreads the load and stops any more wear. I do the same on the seat bases where the mounting holes tend to split.

Stuart.

Menno, you could be describing the seats in MY 3A !. Cracked around the bolt holes especially at the rear, rust rot etc. As for the difference in angle of the backrest - its the weight of the years on what is frankly a very primitive seat - only one grade up from a Citroen 2cv. When they were designed, England had only just left the horse hair stuffing period!

New frames (both sides) were being sold at Malvern some two or three years ago - I regret now that I didn't fork out the money to buy them. If you go down the total replacement route then let us know if and where you find them - I'll buy a pair as well.

Alternatively if you like comfort or have a back problem there is the Mazda route which has been discussed on this forum

james