I recently put in a wood dash kit and I wanted to show it off. There is a company out there that sells something similar to what I did here.

I am a better wood worker than mechanic, so I figured I would try doing this on my own (nice way of saying I am cheap and don’t want to spend to much). In the end, it cost less than $25 for the wood, stain, and finish, but there were a lot of hours measuring, cutting, sanding and finishing. I used 1/8 in maple (ebay), golden oak stain and indoor/outdoor urithane spray finish.

I traced all of my pieces before I installed them, so if anyone is interested in seeing my template, I will scan it and post it.

I attached the wood with silicon adhesive. It is strong enough that it should stay on permanently, but if I (or a future owner) ever want to take it off, it will come off without destroying the original dash (I tested gluing and removing a piece under the dash before I installed the wood dash just to make sure I could get it off if I didn't like it).

Rob

post-4162-1182438245_thumb.jpg

post-4162-1182438261_thumb.jpg

post-4162-1182438245_thumb.jpg

post-4162-1182438261_thumb.jpg

Certainly looks better than the acres of faceless plastic on a standard one, well done that man!!

Stuart.

I recently put in a wood dash kit and I wanted to show it off. There is a company out there that sells something similar to what I did here.

I am a better wood worker than mechanic, so I figured I would try doing this on my own (nice way of saying I am cheap and don’t want to spend to much). In the end, it cost less than $25 for the wood, stain, and finish, but there were a lot of hours measuring, cutting, sanding and finishing. I used 1/8 in maple (ebay), golden oak stain and indoor/outdoor urithane spray finish.

I traced all of my pieces before I installed them, so if anyone is interested in seeing my template, I will scan it and post it.

I attached the wood with silicon adhesive. It is strong enough that it should stay on permanently, but if I (or a future owner) ever want to take it off, it will come off without destroying the original dash (I tested gluing and removing a piece under the dash before I installed the wood dash just to make sure I could get it off if I didn't like it).

Rob

Looks good to me. Something Triumph (BL) should have do at the time.

• 12 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...

We looked at this style of kit for MGF 

There was even a ‘carbon fibre’ look available. 
  Here is a US kit supplier but they do not offer Triumph

http://www.dashkitmall.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=111_138&zenid=ftanuicgafdeaj8g9v5v1khbj5

Cheers

Peter W

• 2 months later...

I've put a wood kit on my convertible 7 which I'm really impressed with. I also changed the dash to a black one Which I know isn't original, but in my opinion looks so much better.

Mike.